Vegetarian Lunch Ideas?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

xJocelynx87

Vegetarian Lunch Ideas?

Post by xJocelynx87 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:46 am

I'm not vegetarian, but I try to eat meat at dinner only, because I am studying to become a dietitian and am well aware that Americans eat way more meat than we actually need. I have several ideas already such as vegetable and hummus sandwich, vegetable based soup with crackers, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and the entire line of Amy's Organic food (which I love!). Just wondering if anyone else has any tasty vegetarian lunch ideas...Thanks guys, I'm sure some of you will come up with some good ones!

Jocelyn

paulawylma

Re: Vegetarian Lunch Ideas?

Post by paulawylma » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:39 am

xJocelynx87 wrote:I'm not vegetarian, but I try to eat meat at dinner only, because I am studying to become a dietitian and am well aware that Americans eat way more meat than we actually need. I have several ideas already such as vegetable and hummus sandwich, vegetable based soup with crackers, peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and the entire line of Amy's Organic food (which I love!). Just wondering if anyone else has any tasty vegetarian lunch ideas...Thanks guys, I'm sure some of you will come up with some good ones!

Jocelyn
Black bean chilli (or any vegetarian soup)
If you have a thermos any stir-fry/rice combo
red beans and rice
mac and cheese
yogurt and fruit
grilled cheese sandwiches
pinto beans and corn bread
If you want processed foods, Bocca Burgers are good.

If you want complete protein in a single meal (now known not to be neccessary), then the following combinations.
any legumes and grains (rice, corn, wheat, etc)
milk (or cheese) and potatoes
milk (or cheese) and corn/rice/other grains

BTW, did you know that the word "vegetarian" does not come from "vegetable?" It was coined from the Latin "vegetare" (spelling may be off) which means "to enliven." The original vegetarian diet ( of the British Vegeatarian Society) included fish. So, historically and by definition, it is proper for a person who eats fish to call themselves a "vegetarian." I love pointless trivia. :)

rant warning: I used to be allergic to milk and one of my pet peeves was "vegetarian" cheese. All cheese is vegetarian. Most "vegetarian" cheeses aren't vegan either--they contain casin. (Note: the Tofutti brand is vegan--this rant does not apply to Tofutti products). Near as I could tell (from reading the small print on the ingredients label) the only difference between most "vegetarian" cheese (which tend to be expensive) and the cheap fake cheese (usually labeled "cheese food") is the amount of casin in the product and the price. So what's the point of "vegetarian" cheese?

pumpkinseed

Re: Vegetarian Lunch Ideas?

Post by pumpkinseed » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:17 pm

paulawylma wrote: rant warning: I used to be allergic to milk and one of my pet peeves was "vegetarian" cheese. All cheese is vegetarian. Most "vegetarian" cheeses aren't vegan either--they contain casin. (Note: the Tofutti brand is vegan--this rant does not apply to Tofutti products). Near as I could tell (from reading the small print on the ingredients label) the only difference between most "vegetarian" cheese (which tend to be expensive) and the cheap fake cheese (usually labeled "cheese food") is the amount of casin in the product and the price. So what's the point of "vegetarian" cheese?
Actually, most commercial cheese is made with rennet which is an enzyme taken from the intestine of an animal, and therefore is not truly vegetarian. Vegetarian cheeses are still made with milk, but use a vegetable based enzyme instead. I do however understand your point about the cheeses that are not made with milk yet contain some milk derived products, vs. true vegan cheeses.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:51 pm

I also try to eat meat only once a day. My lunch is pretty much consistently soup or vegetable stews. I LOVE soup (I think it should be food group!) and there's such a huge variety, it's not difficult to have soup nearly every day.

paulawylma came up with a great list of vegetarian options!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:26 pm

Mark Bittman's new book "Food Matters" outlines his "vegan until dinner" eating style, and he offers a lot of ideas for lunches. Can I remember what they are right now? No, I cannot! But basically, anything that would make a good vegetarian dinner will work for lunch, if you have access to a fridge and microwave.

Here are some things I've taken for lunch that are veg-friendly:

Pasta with beans and greens (I'm not vegetarian, but this is a staple at my house because it's so easy and delicious)
Lentil or split-pea soup
Hardboiled or deviled eggs (not vegan, obviously)
Hearty salads -- barley salad, squash and chickpea salad, bulgur salad with olives and greens ... lots of options
Peanut-sauce noodles with lots of vegetables
Leftover Indian food -- some biryani, a vegetable curry, and naan
Stuffed vegetables like peppers or zucchini

Any of these with a slice of good bread or some fruit makes a nice lunch.

OK, now I'm hungry.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:17 pm

I highly recommend Food Matters. I think one of the best things about it is that he says the method he uses to reduce meat consumption is "his" way. But his way isn't the only way.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

PrettyPetunia

Post by PrettyPetunia » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:24 pm

I am mostly vegetarian (still eat fish, eggs, cheese and eggs, but no meat) and this is one of my favorite lunches. I usually make a big batch of these on Sunday and then eat them through the week:

VEGGIE/BEAN BURRITOS

In a frying pan, heat a little oil over med/high heat. Saute a bunch of chopped veggies. I like to use garlic, onions, mushrooms, peppers, carrots, corn and a little minced jalapeno pepper.

Dump in a can of black beans and stir (strain and rinse the beans first)

Squirt in the juice of 1 lime and toss in some minced, fresh cilantro and add a little salt and pepper to taste.

Spray a piece of aluminum foil with cooking spray. Lay down a large flour tortilla on the foil. Spoon some of the veggie mixture onto one end of the tortilla. Dallop a couple tbs of salsa over the veggie/bean mixture and then sprinkle a little grated cheddar or Monterey jack cheese over the veggie/beans. Roll the sides in first, and then roll it up, so that every thing is contained tightly into a wrap. Close the foil around the wrap to secure.

Continue making more until you use up all the veggie/bean filling.

You can eat these right away while they're hot, or keep them refrigerated until ready to eat.

When you're ready to eat, bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes.

Very healthy and DELICIOUS.

Here's another one of my favorite lunches. I like to make these ahead of time too, wrap them up in sprayed aluminum foil and freeze - makes them easy to transport to work. They heat up perfectly in a toaster oven.

PITA PIZZA

Top a medium sized pita bread with some pasta sauce, chopped veggies (I like peppers, onions and mushrooms) - you can also add some vegetarian "sausage" or whatever else, then some reduced fat mozzarella and a sprinkle of grated cheese. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:49 pm

PrettyPetunia wrote:PITA PIZZA

Top a medium sized pita bread with some pasta sauce, chopped veggies (I like peppers, onions and mushrooms) - you can also add some vegetarian "sausage" or whatever else, then some reduced fat mozzarella and a sprinkle of grated cheese. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
I've done something like this with tomato sauce, spinach, and feta. A Greek pizza, if you will. I haven't made it for a long time and writing about it makes me hungry for it. Too bad I don't have spinach or pita right now!