Sweets now top food group in USA

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

Sweets now top food group in USA

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:57 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/weeki ... an.html?em
the truth is that most Americans eat so badly — we get 7 percent of our calories from soft drinks, more than we do from vegetables; the top food group by caloric intake is “sweetsâ€; and one-third of nation’s adults are now obese — that the organic question is a secondary one. It’s not unimportant, but it’s not the primary issue in the way Americans eat.
(the rest of the article is pretty good, too)

Reinhard

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:28 pm

On Saturday, my almost 15 year old daughter said to me, "I'm kinda sick of sweets." No one has Haagen Dazs bars anymore except for me, and I'm getting sick of them, too. The beauty of this diet is that having a time when you can eat sweets and as much as you want, followed by several days of no sweets, results -- at least in the case of my daughter and me -- in the lessening of a desire for sweets. There are some chocolate eggs right next to me right now, and I have no desire whatsoever to eat them.
That is just great!
Kathleen
P.S. The "out of sight, out of mind" approach didn't work for me.
Last edited by Kathleen on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:37 pm

I had a thought the other day that it USED to be that cake was reserved for birthdays, candy was for easter and halloween, and cookies were for christmas. My how times have changed.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:25 pm

Great article. The food companies really know what they're doing. Cake tastes good - hence, companies make cake readily available whenever a person might want cake. Which is, you know, always.

May I just say, however, that it's extremely difficult to achieve certain caloric goals using vegetables as a major building block. Of course, that's probably why it's a good idea. Why eat half a Pop Tart when you could eat a whole plate full of steamed green beans, lightly seasoned with sea salt and cracked black pepper, lemon juice, and thyme?

Okay, maybe the Pop Tart does have more appeal. But still. This is all very interesting, but wholly unsurprising.
8-bit is still awesome.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:22 pm

VintageGeek wrote:Okay, maybe the Pop Tart does have more appeal.
Only if you've never eaten a Pop Tart before.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:31 pm

And on that very page, in the "most popular" sidebar, we find this: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/nyreg ... dy.html?em -- people eating more candy to cope with economic anxiety.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:18 pm

I'm with Mark -- and Michelle Obama, too. We need to start eating more real food and less processed stuff. I'll bet no one knew I believed that!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:18 pm

Am I the only person in the world who eats sweets for an emotional boost, then ends up feeling even crappier? I mean, it might be nice for a minute, but let's face it America...it's a flawed concept.

PS:
wosnes wrote:I'll bet no one knew I believed that!
The quote in your signature kind of gives you away. 8)
8-bit is still awesome.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:52 pm

wosnes wrote:I'm with Mark -- and Michelle Obama, too. We need to start eating more real food and less processed stuff. I'll bet no one knew I believed that!
Lol! Wosnes, that was a COMPLETE surprise! :D

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:39 pm

why, you wild-eyed radical! How did you come up with such a wacky idea?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:16 pm

VintageGeek wrote:Am I the only person in the world who eats sweets for an emotional boost, then ends up feeling even crappier? I mean, it might be nice for a minute, but let's face it America...it's a flawed concept.

PS:
wosnes wrote:I'll bet no one knew I believed that!
The quote in your signature kind of gives you away. 8)
Well, there's sweets (fruit) and then there's sweets (cookies). I like 'em both.

Speaking of sugar:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/21/dinin ... =nutrition
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

la_loser

Good point!

Post by la_loser » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:45 pm

Nichole,

I think you've really made a good point here. We talk about how No S takes us back to the way that people ate decades ago. When did we start putting candy jars on every desk or reception table or thinking that coffee breaks mid-morning have to include multiple kinds of pastries! Good grief--no wonder I look like I do!
Nichole wrote:I had a thought the other day that it USED to be that cake was reserved for birthdays, candy was for easter and halloween, and cookies were for christmas. My how times have changed.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

wosnes

Re: Good point!

Post by wosnes » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:06 pm

LA_Loser wrote:Nichole,

I think you've really made a good point here. We talk about how No S takes us back to the way that people ate decades ago. When did we start putting candy jars on every desk or reception table or thinking that coffee breaks mid-morning have to include multiple kinds of pastries! Good grief--no wonder I look like I do!
Nichole wrote:I had a thought the other day that it USED to be that cake was reserved for birthdays, candy was for easter and halloween, and cookies were for christmas. My how times have changed.
I found this on a blog this morrning:
http://findingladolcevita.blogspot.com/ ... okies.html

I'm not so sure that people didn't snack in decades past -- or at least eat more than 3 meals daily. But they certainly didn't perma-snack or snack on poor quality food. I think what was eaten when might have been a little more regimented.