Bring back the snacks

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Kathleen

Bring back the snacks

Post by Kathleen » Wed May 27, 2009 7:30 pm

My parents sent me this article out of the newsletter for people who have UnitedHealth Group insurance. It is titled: Bring back the snacks:

Here is an excerpt:

"Here's food for thought. If you're the parent of a grade-schooler, your child needs more than three meals a day. To thrive your youngster also needs at least one heatlhful snack.

Food between meals can:

- Fill gaps in nutrition: Well-chosen snacks supply calories and nutrients that children need to fuel their growth.

- Take the edge off hunger. A well-timed snack -- or one served two or more hours before a meal -- helps keep children from overeating a lunch or dinner. That's especially true when there's a long stretch between meals.

- Promote learning. Studies suggest that after-school snacks help boost memory."

OK... I KID YOU NOT. HERE IS THE END OF ARTICLE:
"What's good for your child is good for you -- at least when it comes to snacks. Why not make some extra servings so you can treat yourself?"

My well-meaning parents are very concerned about my weight, so they sent me an article on the importance of snacking.

GULLIBILITY.

I am convinced that the defining characteristic of obese people is not lack of willpower. It is GULLIBILITY!

Kathleen

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed May 27, 2009 7:36 pm

Well, they're hardly alone in that!

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Wed May 27, 2009 7:59 pm

Let's see,

Today's children are more obese than previous generations.

Today's children snack more than previous generations.

Hmm,

:roll:

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed May 27, 2009 9:38 pm

Hmmmm. Gullibility.

Haven't I fallen for countless fad diets/gadgets/gimmicks over the years? You name it, I'm sure I've tried it or thought about trying it. And the only things they've done for me in the end is cause me to become heavier. Along with that, my eating and feelings about eating have become very distorted. I was 12 when I went on a diet for the first time, and the sad part about it was I wasn't even overweight. I am now.

Yes, gullible. :oops: :cry:

Mimi
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed May 27, 2009 10:12 pm

mimi,
I have beaten myself up over the years for lack of willpower. I can be somewhat amused that the real problem is gullibility! It's SOOOOO obvious.
Kathleen