Did everyone see the new podcast from R?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

Did everyone see the new podcast from R?

Post by kccc » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:02 pm

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5082

It's on tweaks and mods (part II).

Enjoy!

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:25 pm

Yes...I found it to be very worthwhile listening material! :D
I also went back and listened to part I.
Mimi
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

la_loser

Everyone--listen to the MODS & TWEAKS PODCASTS!

Post by la_loser » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:31 pm

I hope that everyone who posts on these boards will listen to both of these podcasts as well and the upcoming one as well. It's particularly appropriate right now, it seems to me, because as I read the boards every day, it seems as if more members are practicing more and more mods and tweaks than Vanilla No S, many of whom really haven't been working at NO S that long. I often feel as as if I've logged onto the wrong site! Patience and time are the real secrets to sustainable change; I am living proof of that. It worries me that in the event that some of these mods do bring some faster weight loss, that the changes won't be long-lasting.

It's a natural thing to want to do--our sad little brains have become so ingrained with thoughts of "if I do this too" or "if I eliminate this food group" or whatever that it's just so hard to buy into simply No Snacks, No Seconds and No Sweets except on Special Days. It does sound too good to be true but in this case, it does really work--when you give it a chance.

As Reinhard's new podcasts points out, the more complicated and restrictive we make our "plan," the easier it will be to fall off the wagon. Week after week, people post comments like "I'm back". . . because (I'm paraphrasing here) "I got impatient and went back to WW or low carb or whatever" and then they realize that it's not (for the majority of us) a long term solution. I guess that experience IS the best teacher, but it might be worth it for us to learn from those members, rather than having to discover it for ourselves.

The No S boards are characteristically so supportive and welcoming of all of us and it is important for us to embrace each others' choices so please understand I'm not trying to exclude those people who have found mods and tweaks that work for them, AFTER giving Vanilla No S a genuine chance to work. . . I would just encourage everyone who is thinking on jumping on board a different ship based on No S (whether a slight tweak or only loosely based on No S) to give yourself a real chance to find success with simplicity of the original model.

Reinhard has been fine-tuning this system for years. . .and time has shown that it does work. I'm glad I've given it a chance and let time work for me. It did take months before I began to real progress but I'm so grateful for being able to eat real foods and feel as as I'm on any semblance of a S.A.D. (Substance Accounting Diet) which has always made me want to rebel!

In any event, I agree with KCCC that everyone needs to hear these podcasts (and the previous ones as well). Yesterday I listened to the two newest ones again, then my iPod just went directly into playing a lot of the older ones and I just felt inspired all over again!

Have a great No S Summer!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:42 pm

I had to go back and listen to part one. I only listened to half of part two before I decided I should stick with the clear rules of vanilla noS and stop trying to modify it to make it seem somehow easier for me.

I was trying to add a forth minimeal but it opened the door to snacking.

I love Reinhard's podcasts :) you give me lightbulb moments!
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:24 pm

I'm so glad you all liked it!

I have ideas for at least few more episodes beyond part three.

I'd like to get back on a monthly schedule, at least until I run through these. Not sure if I'll be able to pull that off... but worth a try.

Reinhard

kccc

Re: Everyone--listen to the MODS & TWEAKS PODCASTS!

Post by kccc » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:28 pm

LA_Loser wrote:I hope that everyone who posts on these boards will listen to both of these podcasts as well and the upcoming one as well. It's particularly appropriate right now, it seems to me, because as I read the boards every day, it seems as if more members are practicing more and more mods and tweaks than Vanilla No S, many of whom really haven't been working at NO S that long. I often feel as as if I've logged onto the wrong site! Patience and time are the real secrets to sustainable change; I am living proof of that. It worries me that in the event that some of these mods do bring some faster weight loss, that the changes won't be long-lasting.

It's a natural thing to want to do--our sad little brains have become so ingrained with thoughts of "if I do this too" or "if I eliminate this food group" or whatever that it's just so hard to buy into simply No Snacks, No Seconds and No Sweets except on Special Days. It does sound too good to be true but in this case, it does really work--when you give it a chance.

As Reinhard's new podcasts points out, the more complicated and restrictive we make our "plan," the easier it will be to fall off the wagon. Week after week, people post comments like "I'm back". . . because (I'm paraphrasing here) "I got impatient and went back to WW or low carb or whatever" and then they realize that it's not (for the majority of us) a long term solution. I guess that experience IS the best teacher, but it might be worth it for us to learn from those members, rather than having to discover it for ourselves.

The No S boards are characteristically so supportive and welcoming of all of us and it is important for us to embrace each others' choices so please understand I'm not trying to exclude those people who have found mods and tweaks that work for them, AFTER giving Vanilla No S a genuine chance to work. . . I would just encourage everyone who is thinking on jumping on board a different ship based on No S (whether a slight tweak or only loosely based on No S) to give yourself a real chance to find success with simplicity of the original model.

Reinhard has been fine-tuning this system for years. . .and time has shown that it does work. I'm glad I've given it a chance and let time work for me. It did take months before I began to real progress but I'm so grateful for being able to eat real foods and feel as as I'm on any semblance of a S.A.D. (Substance Accounting Diet) which has always made me want to rebel!

In any event, I agree with KCCC that everyone needs to hear these podcasts (and the previous ones as well). Yesterday I listened to the two newest ones again, then my iPod just went directly into playing a lot of the older ones and I just felt inspired all over again!

Have a great No S Summer!
LA, this is a great post. Like you, I'm here a lot, and I see the same patterns... and I totally agree that REALLY following the plan first is far more productive.

My very favorite podcast is still the one on "Strictness" (though this "mods and tweaks" series is now running a close second ). I wish everyone considering a mod would first do a month of strict vanilla No-S, then listen to these podcasts before making any changes.

But hey, I also wish for world peace. ;)