Relevant Podcast

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Kathleen

Relevant Podcast

Post by Kathleen » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:54 am

I listened to a podcast interview of a Florida State University Roy Baumeister on self control and addiction. He said that self control is like a muscle: if exercised, it grows stronger but it also needs to rest.

Isn't that interesting? S Days are like resting a muscle. Following the No S guidelines on N Days is like exercising a muscle.

Kathleen

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:23 am

I think the muscle metaphor is spot on.

First, No-S gets easier as you do it - exactly like building a muscle.

Second, some of my biggest failures have been after extended periods of extra willpower - as if I've exercised the muscle to exhaustion.

I like the notion of S-days as "rest." For me, they reasure the unreasoning emotional part of myself that I am NOT going through a period of deprivation, that I can have yummy things. So, the frantic little voice that whines "but I'm st-ar-ving" on standard diets is totally silenced.

Thanks for sharing that!

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:17 pm

KCCC wrote:Second, some of my biggest failures have been after extended periods of extra willpower - as if I've exercised the muscle to exhaustion.

I like the notion of S-days as "rest." For me, they reasure the unreasoning emotional part of myself that I am NOT going through a period of deprivation, that I can have yummy things. So, the frantic little voice that whines "but I'm st-ar-ving" on standard diets is totally silenced.
What a great metaphor!

Same with me, KCCC, it's the knowledge of knowing that an S day is around the corner that helps me not cave in to temptations during the week.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:47 pm

KCCC, taht was a great post. And yeah, I need to feel relaxed some of the time -- able to enjoy a dessert or a cocktail nibble before dinner -- in order to feel happy and centered and determined during the week.

I passed up cookies at my writing class last night, no problem, because I can always have a cookie again. If losing and maintaining weight meant O NOES I MUST NEVER EAT ANOTHER COOKIE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE, there's no way I could sustain that. Cookies are good, in their place!