Ring of fire around the Ses

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

guadopt1997

Ring of fire around the Ses

Post by guadopt1997 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:09 pm

Could someone explain this concept?

Thanks.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:45 pm

Yeah, I know I see it mentioned on the board over and over, but I've searched through the book and can't seem to find it anywhere! I've also done a search on the board by typing in *ring of fire*, but soooo many matches come up I don't know where to start looking!
Someone help!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:58 pm

Is this possibly the same concept as "fence around the law"?
There's a Jewish expression, "Fence around the Law," which means don't do anything that might possibly be interpreted as giving even the appearance of violating sacred law. It's a principle that has its use even with profaner stuff. When your habit is young, be as strict as you can be, comically strict even. Only when you're strong, when the habit is largely unconscious, can you afford stretchers like the above.

It might seem counterintuitive, but strictness makes things easier. There is no decision to be made, no wrangling, no "can I? can't I?". You're pre-disapproved, so forget it and move on to something else.

I hope no one will consider it blasphemous that I apply this religious principle to profaner matters such as weight loss, because I think it's based on a profound and useful psychological insight, and it's with great respect that I repurpose it here.
This concept is expanded a bit more in the NoS Book....

PS. I don't suggest randomly trying to find "Ring of Fire" posts indiscriminately because the meaning that I know it as refers to birthing.... :?
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:41 pm

That I'm familiar with! Don't know if it's the same thing, but I don't think so...

la_loser

Ring of Fire-Fence Around the Law

Post by la_loser » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:55 pm

In the 21 Day Club thread on Tue May 19, 2009 12:33 pm, Reinhard was encouraging someone to hang in there and be patient regarding weight loss. . . he said:

"Habit is powerful. Be strict and you'll build a psychological ring of fire around the esses. You won't even be tempted to cross."

And yes--this correlates to his "fence around the law" philosophy on the No S home page and in the book.

See: http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... 0967#60967
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:15 pm

You're awesome LA Loser! Thank you! Whew...glad that mystery's solved! :D

Mimi

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:25 pm

Sorry if I'm confusing you guys with all of my rambling with out details. I don't know how to transfer a quote from one thread to another, so I wrote it down... here it is.

On the 21 day club thread (page 9), Reinhard said "at some point, if you keep it up it'll become harder to fail that to succeed."

Then I said "Are you serious? Really? Now that's incentive!"

And He said "habit is powerful. Be strict and you'll build a psychological ring of fire around the esses. You won't even be tempted to cross."

That's been my lifeline since. I bring up the quote frequently to others for encouragement. Then Marc brought up Johnny Cash's song... ring of fire. Funny... so now that song goes on in our heads and keeps me going. :wink:

Also, you're in the line of fire when you're being tempted! Ha, a little play on words that I just thought of. :wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:04 pm

Thanks for the explanation.

I wonder what accounts for some days being so easy--yes, not even tempted--and others so hard?