Another gratuitous potshot at low carb diets

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Too solid flesh

Another gratuitous potshot at low carb diets

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:20 am

There is a story on the BBC News website about research which indicates that
Low-carb diets 'damage arteries'
The lead researcher is quoted as saying that
It appears that a moderate and balanced diet, coupled with regular exercise, is probably best for most people
See:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8218780.stm

wosnes

Re: Another gratuitous potshot at low carb diets

Post by wosnes » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:31 am

Too solid flesh wrote:
It appears that a moderate and balanced diet, coupled with regular exercise, is probably best for most people
What astounding news :!:
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:58 pm

Surprise, surprise. :D

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:48 pm

I have two problems with this study. First, mice are not humans. I always wonder how valuable these studies really are in predicting similar consequences in humans. Second, and more important, the lowcarb diet in this study was also high protein. Low carbs diets, at least done the Atkins way, are not high protein, but high fat. It's entirely possible that eating too much protein can cause those problems. I wonder what the results would be if they had studied low carb, moderate protein, high fat.

There are so many variables that you have to wonder how much value these studies actually have. Mind you, I'm not necessarily defending lowcarb. I'm a survivor of the lowcarb/lowfat diet wars, myself. I just tend to ask a lot of questions, especially about these diet studies.
~ Laura ~

buttercreampillow

Post by buttercreampillow » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:01 pm

Mice aren't supposed to eat meat, anyway.
Natural Eater

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:23 am

TunaFishKid wrote:I have two problems with this study. First, mice are not humans. I always wonder how valuable these studies really are in predicting similar consequences in humans. Second, and more important, the lowcarb diet in this study was also high protein. Low carbs diets, at least done the Atkins way, are not high protein, but high fat. It's entirely possible that eating too much protein can cause those problems. I wonder what the results would be if they had studied low carb, moderate protein, high fat.

There are so many variables that you have to wonder how much value these studies actually have. Mind you, I'm not necessarily defending lowcarb. I'm a survivor of the lowcarb/lowfat diet wars, myself. I just tend to ask a lot of questions, especially about these diet studies.
I low carbed as well, lost a boat load of weight (50% of which I have kept off for over 8 years), and improved all areas of my blood work. However, as I have become more aged (kind of like cheese I guess), I find I don't like meat as much as a used to. So, a moderate eating plan, with some exercise is my new approach.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79