Isn't it always the way...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

Isn't it always the way...

Post by kccc » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:04 am

It seemed like last week, every recipe that looked interesting had spinach in it - raw spinach, cooked in.

So now I have some baby spinach I need to use up. And the recipes I was stumbling across before seem to have run for cover!

Lol - time to do some Google-ing. (Though, if anyone has suggestions, I'm open... some really good cooks on this board!)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:25 am

Well, I like to put spinach in a version of Italian Wedding Soup or in white bean soup -- instead of white beans and kale or escarole.. I also like to saute it in a little olive oil and garlic (yum!) with a squirt of lemon juice. Then there's any number of salads with spinach. Our "friend" Clara suggests mixing it with pasta or rice.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:33 pm

Yea, Italian wedding soup, or fresh spinach salad with ceasar dressing, in white veggie lasagna... or my favorite: Spinach on pizza! Papa Murphy's makes my favorite (veggie delite) with ranch dressing and garlic for sauce, then spinach, tomatoes and mushrooms. Yum!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:32 pm

This garlicky spinach and tomato salad is very good, too! The pork chops are good, too!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:15 pm

Knew I could count on this group! :)

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:50 pm

It is also a nice addition to chicken noodle or chicken rice soup! I like to add a few carrots to the soups too.
Spinach and mushroom salad with oil, white balsamic vinegar, and blue cheese..mm.mmm.good!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

Jishin

Post by Jishin » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:14 am

I like pretty much any recipe you can find at http://www.eatingwell.com -- however ....

My favorite spinach recipe is as follows:

Take a bag of spinach and roughly a pack of basil. Tear the basil into pieces about the same size as the spinach. Toss together in a salad bowl.

Heat up some olive oil in a skillet (this is your dressing, so go with the amount you like). Add in plenty of minced garlic and pine nuts. When they sizzle and smell fabulous, pour quickly over the salad.

Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and freshly cracked pepper and serve immediately. (: YUM.

noni

Post by noni » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:29 pm

Pasta and Spinach
Cook 1 lb of any pasta, drain and set aside. Save some of the pasta water in a cup.

Pour a couple TBS of olive oil in large frypan. Add about 4 oz of cut up pancetta or bacon. If using bacon, drain off some of the fat. Add a few sliced garlic cloves til golden along with a little crushed red pepper for kick, about 1/4 tsp. Add one can of white kidney beans (any kind of bean will do).
Now add 6-8 cups of raw cleaned spinach leaves. Add some pasta water to loosen it up a bit. cook a few minutes til spinach is done. Add pasta, some grated parmasan cheese (1/2 cup), 1-2 TBS olive oil, and mix. Sprinkle with more parm cheese if desired.

I like to use sharp provolone for a stronger taste. Enjoy- I did!

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:59 pm

My favourite version is Indian. I don't now how authentic it is, since I've never been to India, but I get this often from our local Indian restaurant:

http://www.indianfoodforever.com/non-ve ... icken.html

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:13 pm

Ended up using it along the lines of noni's recipe... but appreciate all the great suggestions! (Will keep them for future reference.)