Friday night woes

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

leannamcg

Friday night woes

Post by leannamcg » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:51 pm

I've always been the type of person who likes to "cut loose" at the end of the week, and I'm finding it difficult not to cheat on Friday nights. I've tried considering my S-days to be Friday night - Sunday afternoons, but that hasn't worked so far. I have too much time on my hands on Sundays and the temptation to snack has won out three weeks in a row. Any suggestions or wise words?

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:55 pm

Personally, I've been experimenting with having my weekly S days be Fridays and Sundays, with Saturday as an N day. I find that two S days in a row is a bit too much, and I'd rather break them up with an N day in between. Might be worth a try, unless the time on your hands problem would still be there on Saturdays, for you.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:00 pm

I am having the same problem. I wait as late as I can on Friday night. S days this winter seem to be Friday night to Sunday afternoon. Not really ideal, but I am not going to beat myself up about it. I am exercising every day and I have only minimal amounts of sweets when I have them.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:05 pm

Other people, myself included, have started the weekend on Friday evening and ended it earlier on Sunday. I found that it was rare for me to have the occasion to snack, have seconds or sweets after the midday meal on Sunday.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:30 pm

Another option is to plan a "fun" dinner for Friday nights. For example, my family's tradition is to have homemade pizza served with a salad or some cut-up veggies for dinner on Friday. This works for me because I feel like I'm getting an end-of-the-week "treat" but I'm still having an N Day and reserving my S Days for the weekend ... and it works for my family because they *love* "scratch pizza" and look forward to Friday nights.
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

ShannahR

Post by ShannahR » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:34 pm

Well if sliding your S days isn't working I'd try planned distraction. It goes something like this: You "slide" your S days to be Friday night to Sunday afternoon. Sunday afternoon comes along and you need to switch to N day behavior but you know it's a problem (because it has been the last 3 weeks after all). Plan something to fill up your free time-go out with a friend, go shopping, do chores, whatever you need to do to fill up the time and get away from food so you don't snack. The key is to plan it BEFORE you get to Sunday afternoon and the urge to snack is on you. No offense but it sounds like you are falling prey to boredom eating (which always occurs for me duing "free time") which suggests that if you get rid of the boredom you might be able to get rid of the eating.
This version of myself is not permanent, tomorrow I will be different. --BEP

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:40 pm

I started my S Days at midnight on Saturday. After a time, it was no longer something I wanted to do. Besides, our Fridays aren't all that exciting anymore. This Friday, we'll be going out while our children are skiing. I can enjoy my husband's company on an N Day or an S Day! I think food is overrated as a way to enjoy yourself.
Kathleen

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:36 pm

Amen, Kathleen! I'm trying very hard to disassociate special with stuffing my face.

I agree with filling your time. A lot of mindless eating comes frome plain boredom. Learn to knit, embroider or crochet. Anything that can occupy your hands. It's hard at first, but it's worth it!

Happy shrinking!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

midtownfg

Post by midtownfg » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:02 pm

I have my S days on Fridays and Saturdays. I know that trying to do part of 2 days would throw me off too much. Only having one weekend morning also cuts down on the big weekend breakfasts which can be my downfall. I save Sunday to do all of the things I don't like - grocery shopping, laundry, cleaning, yardwork - and going to the gym for an extra long time. Then I don't think about the fact that I am following No-S on a weekend.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:00 am

I do my S days from Friday evening-Sunday afternoon. My husband and I generally don't do too much after we get home from church, so it works well for me.

BelfastBloke

Post by BelfastBloke » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:06 am

I have a widget on my computer which tells me when sunset is. And I record the sunset times on my check-in. So I do, strictly, sunset Friday to sunset Sunday.

Knowing the moment of sunset every week, I now feel more attuned to nature, in my urban environment. And getting back to 'natural' ways of living and eating is exactly what No-S and shovelglove is about, in my interpretation.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:36 am

I found that over time S days changed for me. While I wasn't binging, I was eating more than I wanted on Saturday and Sunday just because it was Saturday or Sunday. I've changed my approach to S-days since and it's working well for me.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

leannamcg

Post by leannamcg » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:25 pm

Thanks everybody for the helpful ideas. I like the idea of noting the sunset time particularly.

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:44 pm

DaveMc wrote:Personally, I've been experimenting with having my weekly S days be Fridays and Sundays, with Saturday as an N day. I find that two S days in a row is a bit too much, and I'd rather break them up with an N day in between. Might be worth a try, unless the time on your hands problem would still be there on Saturdays, for you.
I like this idea a lot, Dave. I've been having S day problems since the holidays and still haven't gotten things back in control. I've not only stopped losing weight but regained a couple of pounds.

Part of the problem is the fact that my husband is off every Thursday and we almost always eat out that night. Having to always turn down dessert leaves me feeling rather deprived and resentful - too much like dieting! The other part is that, as you said, two S days in a row are too much. I really didn't have a problem until the holidays came around, but ever since then I seem to be having excessive S days that even spill over into Monday.

Maybe if I shake things up a little by switching to Thursday and Saturday or Thursday and Sunday it will be easier to keep things under control. It's worth a try.
~ Laura ~