Julia Child's version of a No-S-type philosophy

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

harpista

Julia Child's version of a No-S-type philosophy

Post by harpista » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:56 am

Julia Child, writing in her new introduction to the 40th anniversary edition of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, wrote:

"...I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of 'small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything.'"

(page xv of the hardcover 2001 revised/40th anniversary edition)

Apologies if this is a repeat. I thought you might enjoy :)

This path is my life

Post by This path is my life » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:54 am

I hadn't seen this before so thanks for the post Harpista. It really reinforces No-S for me to see it work for other people and to see that so many people have adopted No-S as a life philosophy already without calling it No-S, but still stumbling upon the same "secret". Have a great day.
"There is no such thing as a bad choice, there is only the next choice"

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:57 pm

This is great. Thanks so much for posting it, harpista.

This means a lot, coming from a woman who ate as well as she did (in every sense) and lived a long, full, healthy life. No-s is just a slightly more precise formulation for those of us for whom this obvious wisdom is no longer intuitive -- though speaking for myself, several years into no-s, it's become pretty darn intuitive again.

Reinhard

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:02 pm

Another great post about people who knew what we are trying to (or some have already) accomplished. Thank you - I love reading these.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:20 pm

That *was*, indeed, very cool Harpista! I was out of it last week so didn't really see this till now..
LOL...

Does the book also tell you to
"Save the liver!" LOL...

Hope you are well up in Canada eh!

Peace and Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

operababe

Post by operababe » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:13 pm

Variety is the spice of life.
Julia Child simply echoed that yes, variety IS the spice of life, but in MODERATION!

Thanks Harpista, I like knowing that even a gourmet chef and author can essentially be a No S'er. There's too many wonderful foods out there, and we are fortunate to be living in a time and place that allows us to enjoy those foods, but in moderation, of course!
It's time to make it beautiful.

cab54

Post by cab54 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:19 pm

I always liked that old gal. I will miss her, but I have two of her cook books, and the food is to DIE for. Her Challah (bread) is amazing.
Cheryl

Starting weight--200 (gah!)
Currently--185
Goal weight--135, or wherever I end up

Elspeth

Post by Elspeth » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:25 pm

I just bought "Mastering the Art of French Cooking," and in reading through Julia's introduction to the anniversary edition, I ran across something that looked very familiar :)

I searched to see if anyone had mentioned it here before and found Harpista beat me to it, some three and a half years ago. But for the benefit of folks new to Everyday Systems, I thought I'd bump up this thread.

Bon appetit, everyone!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:47 am

In Dr. Dean Ornish's book about reversing heart disease, he mentions that he contacted Julia Child about contributing recipes to his book. She refused, saying "This is not compatible with my philosophy of food." She was the only one he contacted who refused. Go Julia!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:08 pm

Thanks, Elspeth! I hadn't seen this before, and I find it very inspiring.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:59 pm

One more reason to love Julia

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:19 am

Thanks for bumping this up. When people talk about not eating dairy or not eating late at night, I always think, but the French eat more dairy than the people of any of the Mediterranean countries, and they eat late, etc. I'm pretty sure Julia was influenced by their habits then, as well as by her own upbringing. "Course, American habits have crept in to French society, and the people are showing the weight gain that follows. Mon Dieu!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:02 pm

oolala53 wrote:Thanks for bumping this up. When people talk about not eating dairy or not eating late at night, I always think, but the French eat more dairy than the people of any of the Mediterranean countries, and they eat late, etc. I'm pretty sure Julia was influenced by their habits then, as well as by her own upbringing. "Course, American habits have crept in to French society, and the people are showing the weight gain that follows. Mon Dieu!
I've noticed this, too. There are so many thing we're told to do that aren't the norm in other countries -- and they're slimmer and healthier than we are.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:48 pm

I also saw an article reporting a study on what cues Americans used to stop eating vs. French participants. The French were more likely to stop because they felt full. (Duh?) Americans used external cues, such as eating during a TV program and stopping only when it was over. It's long been known that heavy people respond more to external cues.

In a way, NO S relies on external cues, too, but it has provided just the structure to reinforce hunger and satiety in me. Eat at mealtimes, and stop at the end of the plate. Leave the table comfortable, not stuffed. With that and no snacking, I'm hungry at mealtimes. It's beautiful!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:33 pm

oolala53 wrote:I also saw an article reporting a study on what cues Americans used to stop eating vs. French participants. The French were more likely to stop because they felt full. (Duh?) Americans used external cues, such as eating during a TV program and stopping only when it was over. It's long been known that heavy people respond more to external cues.
I saw that, too, and one of the things that Americans did was eat until the plate is empty. If a French person is satisfied before the plate is empty, the food remained on the plate.

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:33 pm

wosnes wrote:In Dr. Dean Ornish's book about reversing heart disease, he mentions that he contacted Julia Child about contributing recipes to his book. She refused, saying "This is not compatible with my philosophy of food." She was the only one he contacted who refused. Go Julia!
That's hilarious. Was he completely unfamiliar with her cooking? I have DVDs of "The French Chef" and the amount of butter she cooks with is almost mind-boggling.

Great to see that NoS was one of her secrets to a long, happy life. Thanks for posting that, harpista. :D
~ Laura ~

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:06 pm

TunaFishKid wrote:
wosnes wrote:In Dr. Dean Ornish's book about reversing heart disease, he mentions that he contacted Julia Child about contributing recipes to his book. She refused, saying "This is not compatible with my philosophy of food." She was the only one he contacted who refused. Go Julia!
That's hilarious. Was he completely unfamiliar with her cooking? I have DVDs of "The French Chef" and the amount of butter she cooks with is almost mind-boggling.

Great to see that NoS was one of her secrets to a long, happy life. Thanks for posting that, harpista. :D
Yea, and when Dean's 90-something we can see how it's going for him!

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:56 pm

wosnes wrote:
oolala53 wrote:Thanks for bumping this up. When people talk about not eating dairy or not eating late at night, I always think, but the French eat more dairy than the people of any of the Mediterranean countries, and they eat late, etc. I'm pretty sure Julia was influenced by their habits then, as well as by her own upbringing. "Course, American habits have crept in to French society, and the people are showing the weight gain that follows. Mon Dieu!
I've noticed this, too. There are so many thing we're told to do that aren't the norm in other countries -- and they're slimmer and healthier than we are.
So true. My best friend is French, and he and I are always comparing the health "advice" we get here from what he gets there. Where he lives, they almost NEVER snack, don't eat nearly as much processed/fast food (though this is starting to change, sadly) and when they get too heavy, they just back back on their portions. Nobody he knows goes to a gym; he gets his exercise by walking and riding his bike everywhere. I don't think he's ever eaten anything "low fat" and fake, and when he was here visiting me for six months, he was pretty appalled by the quality of the food we ate, and how often we ate it.

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:58 pm

wosnes wrote:
TunaFishKid wrote:

I think Dean Ornish's plan almost resembles a cult. For one thing, he's involved in vegan/vegetarian propaganda, AND he still stubbornly insists "NO FAT!" and disregards the fact that lots of fats, like the kinds found in nuts and fish, are actually very good for you. Apparently, his regimen is so austere and tasteless almost nobody sticks with it.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:56 pm

RJLupin wrote:
wosnes wrote:
TunaFishKid wrote:

I think Dean Ornish's plan almost resembles a cult. For one thing, he's involved in vegan/vegetarian propaganda, AND he still stubbornly insists "NO FAT!" and disregards the fact that lots of fats, like the kinds found in nuts and fish, are actually very good for you. Apparently, his regimen is so austere and tasteless almost nobody sticks with it.
He's not the only one and he's not the worst! Actually, he's pretty lenient compared to some of the others.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:59 pm

My wife bought me Julia Child's book this last week for my birthday. I sat and salivated all weekend looing at recipes. The Beef Burgundy makes my mouth happy thinking about it. I'm going to go through and cook a recipe once a month. One of the critiques of the book is the amount of butter and cream, and bacon she and the other author's cooked with. She lived to be 94 (?), her husband Paul lived to be 93...

Looking forward to a new chapter in my culinary adventures. Beyond the mac and cheese with diced hot dog that is. :lol:
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:03 pm

Over43 wrote:My wife bought me Julia Child's book this last week for my birthday. I sat and salivated all weekend looing at recipes. The Beef Burgundy makes my mouth happy thinking about it. I'm going to go through and cook a recipe once a month. One of the critiques of the book is the amount of butter and cream, and bacon she and the other author's cooked with. She lived to be 94 (?), her husband Paul lived to be 93...

Looking forward to a new chapter in my culinary adventures. Beyond the mac and cheese with diced hot dog that is. :lol:
Have you seen Julie and Julia? Oh, my goodness. The whole thing made my mouth water -- from one of the opening scenes where Julie is making bruschetta to the end of the film. My daughters and I were hungry when we left! I think all theater owners could have made bundle if they had a Julia/Julie type buffet in their lobbies!