I'm so glad to have found you!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Duckling

I'm so glad to have found you!

Post by Duckling » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:46 pm

Hi everyone

I'm brand new to No S and this forum and thought I'd take a second to introduce myself. :D

I've been overweight most of my life and have tried various and sundry diets with varying levels of success and none long-term. With few exceptions, if they made it up, I've tried it. And they do work - but it just hasn't been sustainable for me.

At the beginning of the year, I started following the idea of being vegan until 6pm everyday. This is an idea from Mark Bittman's book "Food Matters". He's not so specific on the timeline - although its what he does, just that you cut out 2/3 of your animal produced and prosessed food a day.

And honestly, I love doing that and when I really do it right, it works and I eat so many more veggies and I feel great! But the reality is that I travel 2-3 weeks out every 2 months or so and eating (healthy) vegan on the road is really hard. So I needed something that I could do anywhere and anytime.

And then I came across No S and I think its the answer! I still am going to continue eating the way Mark Bittman suggests when possible, but the main thing I'm focusing on is No S.

It hasn't been completely easy these past 3 days (yes a whole 3 days -haha!), but for the first time in a long time I feel this amazing freedom about food and life. Like, I just know, that I'll eventually get to my body-normal weight and if I just do no-S and stop obsessing it'll just happen.

Ok - so that was way long winded! But thanks everyone - I look forward to reading the boards and chatting soon!

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:18 pm

Welcome, Duckling!

Travelling so much must make things difficult. It sounds as though No S could be just what you need.

We look forward to seeing you here.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:41 pm

Welcome Duckling! I've done a variation of Bittman's "vegan until six" for more years than Bittman has. I aim not to eat meat/fish/poultry until dinner, but don't get upset if dairy or eggs creep in. It's much easier to do! Generally, though, with the exception of butter on my (whole grain) toast in the morning, it's vegan.

I'm not much of a breakfast eater, but if I do eat breakfast it's generally toast (with butter!) and fruit. Even less often I might have oatmeal or eggs. Lunch is generally soup, fruit and bread -- though a salad or sandwich might make an appearance. Dinner is whatever I want.

If I'm away from home and not really in control, I try to keep to the same meal pattern, but don't fret about whether or not the food is vegan or vegetarian. It works!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:28 pm

Welcome Duckling! I think you've found your answer...I hope you love NoS as much as the rest of us!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Duckling

Post by Duckling » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:47 pm

Thank you so much for the welcomes!

Wosnes, you know that's a great thought! Staying vegan-ish for breakfast is easy no matter where I am because toast, fruit, and oatmeal keep me happy, but if I ease up to just vegetarian for lunches when I travel it would make life much easier! I just get so sick of lettuce leaves otherwise.

Regardless, I'm happy to have no S as a guiding principle!