Taking a break from No S?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Anoulie

Taking a break from No S?

Post by Anoulie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:00 pm

I've been doing No S since September, reached my goal weight around Christmas, and am currently maintaining.

My problem is that I have so much stuff going on in my life right now, especially at school (German high school is much worse than American high school, it's more like IB, actually), and I think it'd be really helpful for me if I could eat a banana while doing my homework or buy a sandwich at school when I don't get to eat lunch until 5 pm.

Has anyone ever tried to take a break from No S and successfully gotten back on the wagon again?

It would just be for about a month...

Thoughts?

Katie

RJLupin

Re: Taking a break from No S?

Post by RJLupin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:06 pm

Anoulie wrote:I've been doing No S since September, reached my goal weight around Christmas, and am currently maintaining.

My problem is that I have so much stuff going on in my life right now, especially at school (German high school is much worse than American high school, it's more like IB, actually), and I think it'd be really helpful for me if I could eat a banana while doing my homework or buy a sandwich at school when I don't get to eat lunch until 5 pm.

Has anyone ever tried to take a break from No S and successfully gotten back on the wagon again?

It would just be for about a month...

Thoughts?

Katie
I think that sounds risky. I've done the same thing on diet in the past, and it always caused weight gain. "Oh, it's ok to eat this because I am so busy/bored/sick/etc" I would say. You might try to eat "healthy" snacks, but usually you end up grabbing whatever is around. I think, if you want to keep weight off AND make your eating regimen a life-time commitment, you need to stick with meals only at mealtimes. Once you start making excuses and bending the rules, you're basically back where you started.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:38 pm

Hi Katie, don't leave NoS :)
Why not just add a small fourth meal when you know you will need that?
A small sandwich and banana are fine.
The rule about "no snacking" is really about trying to control *random* impulse snacking.. If you plan a small meal, it might mean a few more calories for the day, but I bet it's still less than having a few bags of chips from a snack machine or some candy, and certainly more nutritious.

That's my suggestion.
Good luck and congratulations on reaching your goal weight!

8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi Anoulie,

If the banana is really the issue, as Deb suggests, I think you could incorporate it into no-s easily enough. RJLupin is right that there is a danger that one thing might lead to another, but I think adding a forth mini-meal is far less risky than intentionally going off-system altogether.

Reinhard

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:54 pm

I don't think taking a break from No-S is a good idea. However, I also don't think it should be so rigid that you can't adapt to variations in your schedule. Sometimes there are situations or circumstances that make what we usually do impossible. The regular routine doesn't work and we have to make changes until it does work again.

Am I reading right that after breakfast you're often not getting anything to eat until 5pm? If so, for heaven's sake have a banana and/or a sandwich! Do what you need to do until you can get back to your regular routine.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:47 pm

German schools don't have a lunch break? If you have to, it's okay to study and eat during lunch time.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)