This week's Woman's World Magazine

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Miyabi

This week's Woman's World Magazine

Post by Miyabi » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:40 pm

Instead of grabbing a candy bar at the grocery checout the other day, I grabbed the new Woman's World magazine. If anyone wants to read it in line, it has a hot pink cover and a headline that says "Stuff Yourself."

Stuffing Yourself turns out to be eating three meals a day that include a good protein source, and no snacks. It doesn't specifically mention sweets, but there aren't any sweets in the sample meals. The article is based on a study by a Purdue University team that "didn't set out to discover a new diet. Instead, they were simply trying to figure out which type of eating pattern controls hunger best. Researcher Heather Leidy, Ph.D admits they were expecting trendy high-protein mini-meals to take the prize - but a much more old-fashioned (and much lower hassle!) winner quickly emerged - three square meals a day. 'Three heartier meals led to higher levels of PYY, which is the body's primary fullness hormone," Leidy explains. "Eating six times a day won't control appetite as well, and on top of that, more frequent sittings mean more exposure to food and more opportunities to overeat."

Unfortunately there was no link to No-S!

Also in the issue was a nod to Weekend Luddite - a study showing that people who don't check email or work phone mesages on the weekends are happier, more energetic and have fewer aches and pains.

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:47 pm

Interesting. My mom always used to pick up those magazines and sometimes I'd read them when I was home. One thing I always noticed was that there'd always be some kind of new wonder diet featured where you could lose a zillion pounds, then tons of recipes that were, by most standards, pretty unhealthy. At the very least, they certainly didn't fall in line with the prescribed diet. I'm curious to see what kind of sample meals this plan lays out and if said meals are a bit more consistent with the recipes they usually feature on another page.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:17 pm

I was in the dentist office the other day and came across a Woman's World. There's always some amazing weight loss success story to draw you in. Actually No S was featured in one issue before if I am correct.

It's a nice little magazine, but like marygrace said, a good deal of it features recipes for desserts. They all looked so yummy I was ready to throw my N day out the door and start baking.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:03 pm

It's great to see scientific and popular support for meal based eating finally catching on again.

About time, too! For the last decade or so a huge movement has built up around eating traditional food stuffs (which I'm all for). It's surprising that traditional eating structures have been so neglected.

Yes, a 2008 Women's World article gave No-s its first big "break."

Would have been nice if they'd provided a little reminder in the new article, but as long as they advance the greater "cause," I'm happy.

On a related note, we could still use some No-S success stories for a comparable publication that has expressed interest....

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5989

Please email me if you're remotely interested in doing this!

Reinhard

Miyabi

Post by Miyabi » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:34 am

It's true that the magazines use whatever mixed messages they have to to market themselves to us. The covers often feature an amazing new diet superimposed over a photo of a luscious dessert. The subliminal message is that if you buy this magazine, you can get thin by eating the dessert. The odd thing about this issue for me is that the dessert is nasty looking this time - it's a bright grass green cake with Peeps bunnies stuck all over it - but I still bought it.

You're right about the recipes versus the diet plan, Marygrace. There are 17 recipes and seven are for sweets. Of the rest, probably three or four would fit into the diet plan. I think that's a pretty good average for a magazine - probably because the proposed diet is more realistic than usual.

I wish I'd seen the No S issue of Woman's World in 2008 - maybe if I'd started then, I'd qualify to be Reinhard's dramatic success story by now!