Mods in the beginning?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Imogen Morley

Mods in the beginning?

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi,

I've been a long-time lurker and just recently finally decided to disclose myself :)

I'm very, very excited about the whole concept, its simplicity and a great dose of realism which is - I believe - the very foundation of this "diet". I've been a compulsive eater for about 10 years, tried countless diets which didn't do anything (I didn't lose any weight and didn't gain either). I'm tired of the cycle of pigging out and remorse, so I want to give NoS a try. So here are my two questions:

- I'm not a native speaker of English, so I'm wondering if I should stick to an "Anglicized" version of NoS and establish weekends as S-days, or adopt a "native" approach - S-days on Wednesdays ("sroda" in Polish) and Saturdays ("sobota").

- Even though I'm just starting, I want to introduce a mod I've seen somewhere on this board before - choosing one special treat for my S-days ahead of time and eating it in public (which is going to be a really difficult part!). Good idea or not? From your experience, should I start with regular NoS and gradually introduce mods? I'm really afraid of being a terrible idiot on S-days :(

Thanks in advance!

Aleria

Post by Aleria » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:44 pm

Changing your S days to suit whatever schedule is natural to you is definitely a good idea. No S is about what works for you
I'm not sure about the S Day treats mod, so I'll let others comment on that.
Whatever you decide, welcome to the boards and good luck :D
"I'm not here to decorate your world"
Start: January 2010: 160 pounds, 39" waist
During: December 2010: 152 pounds, 33" waist

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:56 am

It is a convenience that our weekend days in the U.S. start with S. The real idea behind S days is that they are the days that are naturally more relaxed and likely to have reasons to have snack (hanging out with friends, for example) or have dessert (out for dinner on Sat. night-another example.) The word "special" just happens to start with an S, too, so it can be used for special occasions such as birthdays or holidays that don't fall on a weekend day. If you live where the average work week or school week is M-F, it's logical to keep to the weekend S days. It's really meant to fit the culture's social schedule.

Re: a weekend mod to start. One of the maxims around here is: take care of N days and S days will take care of themselves. I know it can be scary to think about letting go on the weekends, but the idea behind it is that modifications that come about more naturally because the desire has decreased will be more lasting. You're already making demands all week long (although it won't seem that hard after a few weeks), so the reasoning is not to try to be too harsh for too long. But many notice that after awhile, several weeks or even months, it just feels better to eat more like N days with just a few snacks or sweets to be savored on S days. However, it doesn't feel enforced.

This may not lead to immediate weight loss. If you're looking to lose weight quickly or consistently right off the bat, you might be disappointed. I think in terms of what I'll weigh 9 months from now, not in two weeks. Just remember, the idea is that whatever you choose to restrict, you are going to restrict for the rest of your life. Restricting what you eat just until you "lose the weight" is not No S. Restricting until the habit of eating moderately is solid is.

To be fair, some people do feel that even after a long time of following the No S rules, they still have to be even more restrictive about all their meals. In my own case, it is worth the time to figure this out as I go.

Reinhard has a very good podcast on the S day issue called S Days Gone Wild. I just listened to it again recently because my weekends are still like that after 15 weeks. Even now, I'm willing to wait a bit more before I rein it in on purpose. I can feel that I am getting closer to wanting to feel as good on the weekend as I do on N days. Remember, it's always easier and more desirable to become more disciplined as time goes on and we feel more willing to up the ante than to start tough and rebel. That's the mistake most dieters make.

Reinhard has another good podcast that I think is quite relevant but I'm not sure what it is called. It has to do with why most people do not keep their New Year's Resolutions. He's so fun to listen to. I recommend that , browsing previous threads, and getting several weeks of N days under your belt before you come to a conclusion.

Fast between meals and enjoy every bite!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:13 am

Thanks for the replies :)

I think I'll go for weekend S-days. As for the mod, thanks for your input, oolala53! I know that getting from one meal to the next without snacking will sometimes be extremely difficult, so being "moderately restrictive" makes A LOT of sense. I do hope to lose some weight (5 kilos, not so much) but what I need more is to reestablish a healthy relationship with food, and I know it's going to take time and experimentation. I don't have to be perfect.

Thanks a million!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:24 am

Welcome, Imogen!

I'd advise seeing how the vanilla rules work for you before introducing any mods... you might be surprised that issues you thought would be problems don't turn out to be. And if they do, well, then mod away.

As a wise computer programmer once said, "Premature optimization is the root of all evil." There's a risk to every new rule you pile on -- make sure it's worth it.

I hate to be a cultural imperialist (or an originalist :-))... but the "anglicized" version of No-s really does have a lot to it.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes,

Reinhard