Is Gum a sweet?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

JulieMM

Is Gum a sweet?

Post by JulieMM » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:02 am

I am a definite newbie here - only on day three of habit. I am wondering what the verdict is on gum. Is it a sweet?

Thanks!
~Julie
Beginning journey with 110 lbs to lose.

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:04 am

I sure hope gum's not a sweet. It's how I end my meal. Sugar-free of course. Even if you chew sugar gum, I would make it a judgment call. You know if somethings troublesome and it's being overdone. Good luck to you. Glad to have you here.
Denise
restart No S on 4/1 at 132#
goal is 120-123# doing vanilla NoS with Eat Stop Eat on Monday.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:08 am

I wouldn't consider it so.

I mean good Lord, if you can put a little sugar on your oatmeal. (Not that I do, but it's considered acceptable).
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

JulieMM

Post by JulieMM » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:23 am

Very good points. I figured it was ok - but this diet is so new to me and really so natural compared to other diets, I am afraid of making poor judgement calls.
:?
~Julie

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:28 am

While you may find you want to tweak down the road, I'd say that anyone who does No-S would do best to try it for a couple of months basic with no mods, if for nothing else than to test for a baseline for their own needs. That means taking things pretty basic and literally.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

JulieMM

Post by JulieMM » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:59 am

That was pretty much my take on the matter. I have no problem doing that. I actually can get kinda legalistic when it comes to diets - hence the gum question. I am trying to have a different outlook on this and be a little more open. I am the kind of person that makes a recipe to the letter the first time then makes changes. I did really well on diets like Atkins, but like Reinhard points out you can not sustain it. I am in this for the long haul, and I think the simplicity is what makes it brillant.
~Julie

WouldYouEva

Post by WouldYouEva » Sat May 01, 2010 4:49 am

The rule of thumb I use when figuring out if something is a sweet is I look at it, and think, "Did I get fat eating this?" It's highly unlikely you got fat on gum. I suspect it's highly unlikely ANYONE got fat on gum.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Sat May 01, 2010 7:55 am

On the No S homepage, Reinhard says:
A "sweet"... means "lots of sugar." If you have to wonder, it's probably OK.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.