Playing (and winning) the Mind Game...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Sat May 01, 2010 9:26 pm

While reading a number of different posts lately, I've found myself wanting to write the same bit of advice (as a reasonably successful NoSer) to a myriad of different situations. Namely, that along with building NoS habits, many of us need to retrain our minds about how we think/interact with food.

Reinhard actually does address this, especially in his book, but the "thoughts to think" are tucked here and there and everywhere. When I first received the book, I read from it *every* day for the first 2 months because I really needed to get right thinking in my head. And it helped tremendously--I had a ready arsenal of "thought power" to keep me on track with my NoS habits when life situations would threaten to throw me off.

My best bit of advice to newcomers is to read and reread the sticky at the top titled "NoS Catch Phrase glossary" as well as to read the book diligently because there are sure to be a few mottoes and sayings that will be of tremendous help to you in exercising your NoS Habit-building muscle.

However, I realize that I did not come from a yo-yo dieting background (just sadly and slowly gained weight over the years), and I can imagine (even though I didn't experience it) the "wrong-thinking" habits that could build up.

I recently stumbled across a very interesting webpage that seems to address the thinking part of dieting w/o prescribing the actual diet. *Much* of what I read would be of great benefit to anyone who wants to get a better handle on the "mind" aspects of following NoS for life.

At this link, you can read an excerpt from the book:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/17873556/ ... y_health//
(Note: I didn't watch the video, only read the excerpt)

and googling "Beck diet solution" will bring lots of other hits. But the above site with the chapter excerpt was most intriguing...

Hope this may be of interest to a few of my fellow NoSers,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

Graham

Post by Graham » Tue May 04, 2010 1:27 pm

Good link, glad you posted this.

To see the Mind Game taken to it's conclusion see:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8652837.stm

If we could all master that.....