Vanilla No-S(or with some MODs) vs No-S & calorie counti

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

butterfly1000

Vanilla No-S(or with some MODs) vs No-S & calorie counti

Post by butterfly1000 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:18 pm

Let me tell you a little bit about myself, I first discovered No S last Spring and have been on again, off again since then (not very successfully unfortunately – even though I know that, if I were to get the habits in place, I could do it long-term). I have been struggling with my weight for a long time and have tried every diet in the book (except for protein diets, but sometimes I'm really tempted!) – I have a fair amount of weight to lose. I've been reading through the various posts and testimonials to get inspiration (there are some amazing success stories!), and notice that some people have lost weight combining No-S with counting calories. I’ve tried counting calories in the past, but it’s not something I could do long term, because I really don’t enjoy it and I end up thinking about food even more. I know that what works for some doesn’t necessarily work for others and I’m trying to figure out what would work for me.

I’m rambling on, but I guess what I’m wondering is: I have over 60 lbs to lose, is it realistic for me to expect to lose it by just following No-S, or should I be combining it with calorie counting? I have conflicting emotions – a part of me wants to lose weight quickly so that I get encouraged to continue (this would mean counting something in order to control portions and out of control week-ends) – and a part of me wants to take the slower but long term solution. Logically I should just be reasonable and not let portions and week-ends get out of control – but if that were the case, I wouldn’t have a weight problem.

Help … :? :?

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Thu May 20, 2010 6:48 am

Butterfly, if you've counted calories in the past as we all have, then you know approximately how many calories your food contains. You know how to make healthier choices.

The beaty of No S is that it teaches us new and healthier eating HABITS.
Once No S is habit, weight slowly comes off. Just the snacks and sweets alone can shave over 1,000 calories a day off.

All of us want to wake up tomorrow and look like Barbie or Ken. It ain't gonna happen. I can gaurentee you that if you lose a large amount of weight fast you'll have several kilos of loose skin flapping around on your body. NOT attractive, I know. I've done it! Also, the weight comes right back on with interest.

Please read KCCC's sticky about the phases of No S. Follow the directions.

The most important and wonderful thing about No S is that it gradually gets rid of our obsession with food. I know that when I follow vanilla No S that I have a LOT more time to do more enjoyable things than stuffing my face.

Good luck, and have some patience.

Have a Vanilla Day!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 20, 2010 10:31 am

Here's the big secret about weight loss: however you decide to do it, it's got to be something you can do every day for the rest of your life. Otherwise as soon as you lose the weight and go "off" the plan, you'll start gaining again.

Can you lose that amount of weight on No-S? Of course you can. No-S, or some variation of it, is exactly how people kept weight off until we were encouraged to eat nasty food 24/7.

You said that you'd like to lose the weight quickly but that would require "counting something in order to control portions and out of control week-ends."

Why not make an effort to control portions and not let week-ends get out of control? With only a few exceptions, we all gained weight because we ate too much. The way to weight loss is to eat less. I know it sounds simplistic, but it's because it is that simple. Some of us are going to have to eat less than others, but that doesn't mean we have to deny ourselves anything -- we just have to eat less than others.

I've read a couple of interviews with celebrity chef Giada De Laurentiis. She's been asked how she stays so slim -- especially with her love of dessert in general and chocolate desserts in particular. Her answer: she doesn't deny herself anything, she just eats small portions.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:36 am

Thank you mrsj & wosnes -- you're right, I need to be patient and stick to it until it becomes a habit -- it's just that sometimes I panic and think that I'll never reach my goal and that I'll always feel crappy and self-conscious and out of shape. But like you said, if it's too quick and I can't stick to it long-term, all the weight will come back & more. I'll try to take one step at a time. Thanks again!

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Thu May 20, 2010 2:02 pm

Having 60 lbs to lose probably makes it *more* likely that "vanilla" NoS will allow you to lose weight: just the calorie intake reduction from eating more moderately overall will probably lead to weight loss. (As mrsj points out, just not snacking can remove huge numbers of calories from your daily total!) As usual, the advice is to try the default approach first for a good long while, and only modify once you've got the basics firmly under control.

Re: calorie counting, everyone is different. I don't count calories, and that's fine for me, but there are quite a few people around here who do. (I have a rough idea of how many calories are in what I eat, but I don't keep track in detail.) They point out that at least NoS makes this easier, since on N days you're only counting three times a day, rather than constantly. But again, maybe first see if you need to do this: you may not need to do it at all, or maybe not until you get down to trying to lose those last 10 or 20 pounds.

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:39 pm

DaveMc wrote:Having 60 lbs to lose probably makes it *more* likely that "vanilla" NoS will allow you to lose weight: just the calorie intake reduction from eating more moderately overall will probably lead to weight loss.
True -- I have an easier time controlling meals than controlling what I eat in between. If I can succeed in cutting the in between, I'll be cutting out many calories.

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Thu May 20, 2010 9:04 pm

mrsj wrote:Butterfly, if you've counted calories in the past as we all have, then you know approximately how many calories your food contains. You know how to make healthier choices.
Not true for me. I had always allowed some one else to determine my calorie deficit as I now understand it- whether that was WW, SB or even Nos. Additionally, I still get sticker shock with foods. Not as much as I did before but it still happens. Especially with healthy sounding items. I know for sure others really don't know how much they are eating as well.

The question is- is it purposeful or ignorance?
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 20, 2010 9:53 pm

connorcream wrote:
Not true for me. I had always allowed some one else to determine my calorie deficit as I now understand it- whether that was WW, SB or even Nos. Additionally, I still get sticker shock with foods. Not as much as I did before but it still happens. Especially with healthy sounding items. I know for sure others really don't know how much they are eating as well.
I'm curious -- are you talking recipes or menu items at restaurants or both? I think things on restaurant menus are really hard to judge. It doesn't help that if some have nutritional analyses and calorie counts some of that info may be faulty.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Thu May 20, 2010 10:27 pm

wosnes wrote:
I'm curious -- are you talking recipes or menu items at restaurants or both? I think things on restaurant menus are really hard to judge. It doesn't help that if some have nutritional analyses and calorie counts some of that info may be faulty.
I didn't know 1 tbs of fat is 120 cal or a roll was 90 cal or tenderloin steak 6 oz is over 500 cal. I let someone else figure these facts out in their diet formulation- whatever method that was.

Restaurants are another huge area of calorie problems.

And I have never binged, never eat in the middle of the night, don't polish off a bag of chips, nada. It was the slow creep of eating more than my body could process, relying on one plate to do the thinking for me or the points, or the avoidance of food groups with bread. Never did I stop and ask, what does MY body need, and no more.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Fri May 21, 2010 4:51 am

Butterfly, I forgot something...

60 pounds is a lost to shrink. I have 31 Kilos to shrink. It's overwhelming. Instead of looking at the big picture, try setting mini goals.
Think 5 or 10 pounds at a time.

Again, polease read KCCC's post about the phases of No S. It's now a sticky. It really clarifies a lot and helped me to identify my problem.

Happy Shrinking!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun May 23, 2010 4:24 am

I just recently read a post on the testimonial thread from a man who lost 60 lbs. this last year with mostly vanilla No S. I know there are others.

Of course, if you implement the rules and mods and are not losing, you can always still use the 3-meals a day and count calories. Several people here do that.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)