Have you tried any new foods since on the plan?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

July2010

Have you tried any new foods since on the plan?

Post by July2010 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:13 am

I've never eatten a peach before. The fruits I have eatten are apples, oranges, bananas, pineapple, grapes. So, I've decided to at least taste other fruits. I cut up a peach and just tasted it and then took a bite. My mom said this one wasn't really ripe and so I ended up not eatting it. But, the texture is almost like an apple and this one wasn't sweet since it wasn't ripe. I know nothing about peaches. Got it at Walmart. I'm going to give it another try soon. I'm hoping to find a few new fruits or veggies to like.
AutismMom

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:40 am

I might be misunderstanding what you wrote, but the texture of a ripe peach is absolutely nothing like an apple.

Trick for determining whether or not fruit (including tomatoes) is ripe: if it doesn't smell like whatever it is -- it's not ripe. There are only a few fruits for which this isn't true -- bananas and watermelon come to mind. Most other melons do have a fragrance when ripe.

I almost never buy stone fruits (peaches, nectarines, plums, apricots, cherries) at the grocery. I buy them at a produce/farm stand or the farmer's market. They're more likely to be ripe or very close to ripe.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:13 pm

A properly-ripe peach should be so juicy that you almost have to eat it over a bowl.

Do try again. They're wonderful.

(It is hard for me to believe that someone living in the south has never eaten a peach!! But I'm from the "Peach State," so they're beyond common here.)

July2010

Post by July2010 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Yeah this peach was close to the texture of an apple, just a little softer. My mom knew right away it wasn't ripe, but I didn't have a clue. Just took her advice. And nope, never in my 34 years every even tasted a peach. I have eatten peach flavored candy, but never the real thing ha. Trying to experiment and try new things. There is alot that I want to try, but too scared to. One thing at a time for sure.
Last edited by July2010 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AutismMom

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:08 pm

KCCC wrote:A properly-ripe peach should be so juicy that you almost have to eat it over a bowl.

(It is hard for me to believe that someone living in the south has never eaten a peach!! But I'm from the "Peach State," so they're beyond common here.)
I frequently stand over the sink when I'm eating peaches.

I can't believe that someone from the South has never had peach cobbler. I've worked with a lot of people are from or whose families were originally from the south (various places) and peach cobbler shows up at every gathering!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

July2010

Post by July2010 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:24 pm

Yeah, I'm way south of New Orleans in Cajun country. I've never seen peach cobbler that I know of. We really don't eat much peaches here. They do sell them in the store. I've always been pretty picky when it came to fruits and veggies and only now that I'm older have I been trying new things. There was a time I never thought I'd eat broccoli and now I love it!
AutismMom

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:07 am

Peaches are sweet and juicy -- very, very good. I also highly recommend you try cherries and strawberries. They're sweet and wonderful. Plums are also a favorite of mine, but most varieties are somewhat tart so probably better to start with peaches.

If you buy them and they're hard (aka not yet ripe), leave them on the counter until they soften and then eat them.

I'm also a huge fan of farmers markets and produce stands and buy almost all my produce that way. But don't let not having something like that available stop you from the wonderful world of fruit.

Julie

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:14 am

I've recently tried kohlrabi for the first time, but that was because it turned up in a vegetable box rather than through choice. "Alien cabbage" is one of the more common descriptions, though it tastes more like swede.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

Starla

Post by Starla » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:17 pm

I love kohlrabi in salads. It has a nice crispness and slight sweetness that really enhances a salad. I, too, first had it because it came in my CSA box. Because of the CSA, I've tried kohlrabi, fresh fennel, fresh leeks, beets, spring turnips and celeriac for the first time these past couple years. I have loved all of them except the beets.

I LOVE a good fresh peach, July2010. I'm almost jealous of you because you get to have that experience for the first time.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:54 pm

Starla wrote:I love kohlrabi in salads. It has a nice crispness and slight sweetness that really enhances a salad. I, too, first had it because it came in my CSA box. Because of the CSA, I've tried kohlrabi, fresh fennel, fresh leeks, beets, spring turnips and celeriac for the first time these past couple years. I have loved all of them except the beets.
I've not had kohlrabi. I like all of the things you've tried except celeriac. I can't say I truly dislike it, but it's not something I'd go out of my way to get. I LOVE beets -- always have.

July2010

Post by July2010 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:26 pm

It's good to see others tring new foods as well! I love beets too. Around here we soak them (with the beet juice) in onion and vinegar and it's really good!
AutismMom

Starla

Post by Starla » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:49 pm

I boiled the beets and put them in a salad with pineapple. By the time I was done preparing them, it looked as if I'd slaughtered a pig in my kitchen! I believe one of my first posts in my check-in thread says "No more beets!"

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:07 pm

I roast the beets. They're very good that way. I also sometimes marinate them (after cooking) in vinegar and sugar.