Just a Test

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oliviamanda

Just a Test

Post by oliviamanda » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:48 pm

I strayed for a week and did an experiment... Slim Fast shakes and Zone bars... big mistake. It goes against the No S principles... I just did it out of sort of convenience... and lo and behold I actually gained weight. I love chocolate, but I was all chocolated out (and from not-so-great tasting chocolate). So, experiment over. I will never do that again.

I kind of reached a plateau... so I was looking for something new to do. Plus, I sometimes do that horrible thing of skipping meals. I know, I know. : ( Now, I have to lose the weight I gained from my experiment. Uggh!
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

machelle

Post by machelle » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:42 pm

oliviamanda, so glad that it was only for a week though! I find it interesting that you actually gained weight when you were basically not even eating. I'm so happy for you that you now know that those other things really aren't the way to go. From my experience, they definitely don't work. I mean, they do for a while, but like you said...you plateau. Because your body is sensing a starvation, it just hangs on to every bite you eat and stores it....not exactly what we are trying to accomplish. Then the plateau sort of kept sparking a binge reaction and I would eat a big meal, which was self-defeating. So it was an endless battle for a long time.

It still is so puzzling to me that I can eat more and actually lose weight. I don't know that this has quite sunk into my thick head yet, but I am keeping on. Your experiment is confirmation to me though, so thank you for sharing.
8/31/10 Start.
Starting weight: 134.5
Current weight: 132.5
~~ Goal: 115 ~~

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:26 am

Glad you're back. Eat food! I have never understood how people could be happy eating bars and shakes day after day, but the truth is, that has a better track record than some diets! But I love the experience of the meal: the look of the food on the plate, the smell, the flavor, and the act of chewing and sensing the differing flavor and texture as the particles get smaller. And the variety! No S, I'm here to stay.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

machelle

Post by machelle » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:52 am

I don't think it's about being happy about eating bars and drinking shakes. I hated it. It's more about desperation. I agree...real food is wayyyy better!! No S has been an absolute God-send to me after years of struggling.
8/31/10 Start.
Starting weight: 134.5
Current weight: 132.5
~~ Goal: 115 ~~

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:12 pm

Olivia, I am betting you will find that a lot of the weight gain is bloat. For whatever reason if I'm not eating well, I bloat. If I start eating properly, I unbloat 2 - 3 lbs in a week. Since that's what ... 10,000 - 15,000 calories I don't think I'm losing actual fat but rather just water my body has decided it needs.