DIABETES AND HIGH LDL CHOLESTEROL

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BSUDS

Post by BSUDS » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:30 pm

Good afternoon. I have lost 60 lbs this year, mostly using the HCG diet. I have at least 40 more I want to lose. I will be at 199 at that point, but I will be very happy with that.

I started the program today. I have a question. I know that cutting down during the week on sugar will greatly help the borderlline diabetic issue, but my LDL went from 88 to 148 during the last year. Do I need to watch what I eat to lower this or will the diet do it on it's own? I have recently started taking fish oil to try and help with the LDL.

Thanks in advance for any info regarding this.
ALL THAT I WANT OUT OF LIFE IS FOR MY "OUTSIDE" TO MATCH MY "INSIDE".

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:51 pm

Bsuds, this is a question you'd best ask your doctor directly. None of us are qualified to diagnose over the internet!

No-S deals with portion control (one plate), not nutrition (what's on your plate).

As far as nutrition, it's very individual. Some people gradually move toward healthier choices; some consciously "layer" No-S with other eating plans, whether for weight loss or for medical reasons or for other reasons. I suppose some simply don't worry about it!

There are a number of testamonials that include improved health as a benefit, but there are certainly no guarantees that it would affect specific issues.

Best wishes!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:06 pm

Here's some info from the Mayo Clinic.

I pretty much agree with their suggestions, though I'm not fond of the one about added plant sterols or stanols. It's a personal thing -- I'm not fond of foods that have been "messed with."

I have no idea what you eat, but I found that eating real foods and avoiding processed/prepared foods helped. Concentrate more on plant foods than animal foods. This should also help with the borderline diabetes.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:23 am

I had higher cholesterol and my doctor suggested fish oil. Instead, I read a book called Cholesterol Down. Several foods are recommended. I have gotten myself in the habit of having steel cut oatmeal and almonds on a regular basis. My cholesterol went down enough to be in the normal range. What's nice is that I really like oatmeal. It's cheap and filling, and I even got a small Cuisinart slow cooker so I just put in oatmeal in the morning, set the timer for 1 1/2 hours, and have it after the kids go off to school.
Kathleen

BSUDS

Post by BSUDS » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:50 pm

I appreciate all your suggestions. I am for sure staying away from fast food and processed food.
Unfortunately, I don't like oatmeal but am going to try the kind that was recommended and see if that tastes any better to me

Thanks
ALL THAT I WANT OUT OF LIFE IS FOR MY "OUTSIDE" TO MATCH MY "INSIDE".

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:46 pm

I was going to look up the other foods recommended in the book, but I donated it to the library book sale! I think there were 10 foods that were recommended. I haven't had oatmeal in years because I'm too lazy to make it. That's why I got a slow cooker. If you look up the book, you may find some foods that you really like.
Kathleen

wosnes

Re: DIABETES AND HIGH LDL CHOLESTEROL

Post by wosnes » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:36 pm

BSUDS wrote:I appreciate all your suggestions. I am for sure staying away from fast food and processed food.
Unfortunately, I don't like oatmeal but am going to try the kind that was recommended and see if that tastes any better to me

Thanks
I don't like oatmeal very much, either, and I liked steel cut even less than regular. In fact, I'm not fond of grains, except for the whole grain bread I have at breakfast. I eat lots of vegetables, fruits, and beans. The beans are usually in soup, which I eat almost every day for lunch. I make it once or twice a week in my slow cooker.

I do eat white bread (homemade) and regular white pasta (NOT homemade). I don't eat enough of them or eat them often enough to worry about it. I figure if my diet is 80% real food, the rest isn't much of a problem.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."