Who? What?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Who? What?

Post by wosnes » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:52 pm

I was looking at people.com where there was a headline: Carole Middleton follows Dukan diet. I thought Who? What?

Carole Middleton is Kate Middleton's mother. The Dukan diet appears to be a French version of Atkins -- at least it's a high protein/low carb diet. She's getting ready for her daughter's big day.

But it does have one rule that might help No-Ser's having problems on S days. It allows two cheat meals weekly and you can eat anything you want. However, dieters are limited to one serving of any of the foods at that meal.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Re: Who? What?

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:00 pm

wosnes wrote:The Dukan diet appears to be a French version of Atkins --
at least it's a high protein/low carb diet.
Image In my quest to treat dieting as Hobby, I read about everything out there,
and I own and have read the books, Dukan Diet and Dukan Diet Recipes.
They were first published in France about 10 years ago,
and the diet has been popular in many other countries.
This spring it was published in England.

It is a moderate2high-protein/low-fat/low-carb diet, which primarily consists of:
alternating days of eating nothing but lean meat/fish/poultry or other limited animal proteins,
with days of eating the same but adding in green leafy and low GI/GL veggies only.
Upon reaching goal weight, one returns to "normal" eating,
with 1 eating all-lean-protein-only day-per-week.

Some call it the "French Atkins", but it is extremely restrictive,
and really very different from Atkins and the majority of Low-carb diets.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:58 pm

It took me a bit of time to figure out who Kate Middleton is. Long live the Princess.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:47 pm

Over43 wrote:It took me a bit of time to figure out who Kate Middleton is.
"The Mountains" are obviously not in the UK. We have endured a barage of tabloid speculation for the last nine years.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:13 am

BrightAngel,

This is unrelated to the overall topic here, but I just had to jump in and say that I was fascinated by your use of the term "hobby" in regards to dieting. I have often stressed over the fact that dieting was one of my main "hobbies" and thought other people would not consider it a valuable use of time (compared with other hobbies, I guess). In fact, that is partly why I cling to No S despite the fact that I have some difficulties with it. My understanding is that No S has the "benefit" of putting dieting into the background of your life and making it less of a hobby. But maybe I shouldn't worry so much about having dieting as a hobby. When you say it, it sounds legitimate and reasonable. Maybe dieting as a hobby is just a fact of my life, just like stamp collecting is a fact of someone else's life.

Thanks for helping think about this in a new light!

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:36 pm

OlderandNotWiser wrote:BrightAngel,

This is unrelated to the overall topic here, but I just had to jump in and say that I was fascinated by your use of the term "hobby" in regards to dieting. I have often stressed over the fact that dieting was one of my main "hobbies" and thought other people would not consider it a valuable use of time (compared with other hobbies, I guess). In fact, that is partly why I cling to No S despite the fact that I have some difficulties with it. My understanding is that No S has the "benefit" of putting dieting into the background of your life and making it less of a hobby. But maybe I shouldn't worry so much about having dieting as a hobby. When you say it, it sounds legitimate and reasonable. Maybe dieting as a hobby is just a fact of my life, just like stamp collecting is a fact of someone else's life.

Thanks for helping think about this in a new light!
ImageOlderandNotWiser,
Dieting as a Hobby is part of my Basic philosophy.
I've never read anything about the concept, just figured it out myself,
and will be writing more about that in the future.
In fact, I am in the process of...(sometime in 2011)....
creating a Blog at my brand new Domain, DietHobby.com.
which I bought specifically for that purpose.

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:45 pm

BrightAngel wrote: In fact, I am in the process of...(sometime in 2011)....
creating a Blog at my brand new Domain, DietHobby.com.
which I bought specifically for that purpose.[/color]
Yeah, hallejuah, amen sister, way to go, fantastic, awesome, rock on :D :D :D
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:51 pm

Bright Angel, I saw this one mentioned on The Today Show yesterday.

Found these referring to it at prevention.com
http://www.prevention.com/400/

http://www.prevention.com/health/weight ... 0030281eac____

http://www.prevention.com/400calorieholiday/

And here's the book, available today, from Amazon.

There's also another one that was released earlier this year.

If you search "400 calorie fix" at prevention.com, there are many more articles.

I've not read the book and the only complaints that I have from what I've seen is that 1200-1600 calories may not be enough for some people and I don't know what it teaches about maintenance.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:22 pm

wosnes wrote:Bright Angel,
And here's the book, available today, from Amazon.

I've not read the book and the only complaints that I have from what I've seen
is that 1200-1600 calories may not be enough for some people
and I don't know what it teaches about maintenance.
Image wosnes,
Thanks for the link. It sounds like something I'll want to read.

My 5 year plus experience with Maintenance, is..
that in order to Maintain a weight-loss
one has to eat the pretty much same way in Maintenance as they did during weight-loss...
In Maintenance, one might get to eat slightly a bit more, or even...as in my case...even a bit less.

My complaint is that 1200-1600 calories is TOO MUCH for many people to lose weight,
including me PERSONALLY.

My detailed food-intake records show
that I must eat around 1050 calories daily in order to MAINTAIN my current weight.
...and no...eating more isn't the solution..
The numerous time I've attempted that have resulted in weight-gain.

I am in excellent health, and as far as is known to medical science,
everything in my body is functioning normally.
My small, older "reduced-obese body is simply super-efficient with fuel. Image
The "Expert" charts, tables, and advice are based on Averages and Generalizations,
and aren't always accurate for individuals.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:44 pm

Too solid flesh wrote:<snip> We have endured a barrage of tabloid speculation for the last nine years.
I feel for you. My personal New Year's resolution was to decrease my exposure to pop culture. Somehow, The Engagement snuck past my barriers and I learned of It. I will have to be extra vigilant and batten down the information hatches to avoid knowing anything about The Wedding.

gettheweightoff

Post by gettheweightoff » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:28 am

BrightAngel,

You say that you know the range that you can lose and maintain on and I agree because I know 1200 calories seems to work for me, but if I go up into 1600 I maintain or go up slightly.

All of the latest diets, including the new WW plan are claiming calories don't matter that much now it's the type of food we eat and of course there's the claim that 6 meals a day is effective which for me is just NOT.

So, I'm with you on knowing yourself and knowing your calorie range. I think this is the main reason the new WW wasn't working for me because I would add up my calories, next to the points (double the work) to cross-reference because I did not believe eating fruit to your satisfaction plus increased points, plus increased bonus pts would result in weight loss and I was so afraid that I would gain on the program that I ended up so freaked out and binged all my ww losses plus some... WHOLE SIDE TRACK... SORRY.

What I meant to say is I think you are right.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:18 am

Re: Kate Middleton. That chick is SKINNY! Wonder if it comes naturally. I missed the nine years of British tabloids, so I guess that's been covered. But I don't plan to keep up with it...
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks for the links to Prevention, I read a lot of what was posted there (get the magazine from the library but it was nice to have this all at one time).

Read the success stories and so much of what was said is the same no nonsense approach recommended by NO S. Particularly the, I don't have to eat what I want right now, it will still be there on the weekend and saving special treats for special days like hot dogs for ballgames, hamburgers for picnics, popcorn for movies, cake for birthdays, weddings, etc. if one wants to plan that way.

Very interesting to read. It isn't as if a person can NEVER EVER indulge, just do so wisely.

What a concept, huh? 8)
Berry