Is Coffee with cream between meals a snack?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gettheweightoff

Is Coffee with cream between meals a snack?

Post by gettheweightoff » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:25 pm

Just wondering if I have a cup of coffee with milk or cream inbetween my meals, is it considered a snack.

It feels like a snack, but I just thought I would check.

Thanks.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:28 pm

No, it's not a snack -- not even with milk or cream and sugar.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:31 pm

No, it's not.

If you haven't bought a copy of the No-S Diet book, I'd encourage you to do so. While the strict interpretation is just 14 words long, the book is excellent.
The No S Diet does not count drinks (even caloric ones) as snacks. You can drink whenever you want, unless its something full of sugar, in which case it counts as a sweet (see Chapter 3).
The chapter goes on to discuss the desirabilty of several sorts of drinks. Soda, being full of sugar, is an S. Coffee with a LITTLE sugar and cream, isn't. (You simply WOULDN'T put as much sugar in your coffee, even if you like it very sweet, as what is found in the typical can of Coke).

Yes, calories count, but at two cups of coffee a day, I'm not going to sweat what I put in my own.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

RichTJ99

Post by RichTJ99 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:36 pm

I read the book & I cant figure why diet sodas are so bad, I understand water is best but whats wrong with crystal lite or diet pepsi/coke?

Is it that it 'tricks' you into thinking your getting a sweet?

Sienna

Post by Sienna » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:13 pm

I read the book & I cant figure why diet sodas are so bad, I understand water is best but whats wrong with crystal lite or diet pepsi/coke?

Is it that it 'tricks' you into thinking your getting a sweet?
I think that's part of it. I also think its probably all the junk that is in diet soda... Cancer? Alzheimer's? Diabetes? Does diet soda really cause/increase risk for those? Hard to say, but since there is no real nutritional "pro" to diet soda, the cons don't have to be very well proven to make most diets try to outlaw them. Soda, diet or otherwise, is really bad for your teeth.

In terms of your question about it tricking your body, I can speak from my personal experience.

When I started NoS last June, I also pretty much gave up all diet soda (I gave up regular soda years ago). At some point, I added diet soda back into my diet, although I'm not entirely sure when or why I did. It started with me allowing it on S days and then sort of crept back in to my diet.

As I started to pay more attention to what I ate, I noticed that in general, on days I *do* have diet soda, my cravings for other foods - especially sweets - is drastically increased compared to days that I don't drink diet soda.

Psychological? Real? Who knows. But I figure going back to no soda certainly wouldn't HURT me, and it might even help. So I've been upping my consumption of water+lemon lately.

It's probably worth mentioning that because I was really good about defying the cravings and following the NoS rules, I didn't see a real change in my rate of weight loss when I started drinking soda. So you can certainly drink diet soda and lose weight on NoS. I just think it's easier to follow NoS if I don't drink soda.

[/quote]
Finally a diet that I can make a lifestyle!

Started June 2010
6/27/2010 - 226 lbs
10/17/2010 - 203 lbs - 10% weight loss goal!
1/29/2011 - 182 lbs - 2nd 10% weight loss goal!
5/29/2011 - 165 lbs - 3rd 10% weight loss goal! (one more to go)

exdieter

Post by exdieter » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:33 pm

LaCroix (sugar and fake-sugar-free carbonated water) is a great sub for soda, if you have the taste for it. :) I've actually gotten to a point where I prefer it to real and diet soda. Once you stop drinking/eating sugar substitutes for long enough, it starts to taste noticeably different from the real thing. :)

Also, I was wondering, is soy milk an okay substitute for real milk? Looks like it has the same amount of sugars nutritionally, but more carbs (???)

Does anybody know?

Thanks!
Slow and steady wins the race.
5"4', mid-thirties female
1/2/11: 157.2
4/4/11: 153.6

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:39 pm

exdieter wrote:Also, I was wondering, is soy milk an okay substitute for real milk? Looks like it has the same amount of sugars nutritionally, but more carbs (???)

Does anybody know?

Thanks!
I suppose the real answer is why you're substituting it. If you've a lactose intolerance, it's vastly superior to cow milk.

If you're doing it for No-S purposes, there's just no difference at all. Choose what you like best.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

exdieter

Post by exdieter » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:52 pm

Neither one. I try to drink only organic milk, and my local starbucks doesn't carry that. So milk at home, soy if I need a misto to power through the afternoon (without added flavor, of course). :)
Slow and steady wins the race.
5"4', mid-thirties female
1/2/11: 157.2
4/4/11: 153.6

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:59 am

I use almond milk on my cereal because I'm trying be a daytime vegan, meaning I save animal products for dinner time. And except for half and half in my coffee, I've mostly been successful.This has more to do with carbon footprint rather than health/diet, though so I don't consider it a mod. I don't count it a failure if I eat cheese for lunch for example. It's just something I want to be mindful of.