last bite panic

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ryan1972

last bite panic

Post by ryan1972 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:24 pm

Does anyone else feel a mild sense of panic when you reach the last bite of a meal because you won't be able to eat again for hours? Maybe the pros can weigh in....does that feeling ever go away?

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:59 pm

Yes, I felt it sometimes.

Yes, it goes away.

What COMPLETELY CURED me of it was a YA book series that's really popular -- The Hunger Games. I'm NEVER more than a few hours away from a meal and feel a bit silly panicking about it after reading that first book.

I'm hungry for dinner right now and the idea that there was a time when I would have had a snack less than 30 minutes before a WHOLE MEAL seems goofy to me now.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Summerwine

Post by Summerwine » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:26 pm

I have a bit of a last bite panic at lunchtime. For various reasons I can't have lunch later than 1, or dinner earlier than about 8, and it feels like an enormous stretch of time coming up before I can eat again.

I just try to remind myself that I did it before, and it was fine. I hope that in time I'll get used to feeling hungry for a couple of hours, and won't think anything of it.
Start date: 10 Jan 2011
4'11'', 31 y.o
SW: 178.8 lbs / CW: 177.4 lbs
Goal 1: 145 lbs (no longer obese)
Goal 2: 120 lbs (no longer overweight)
Final Goal: 110 lbs

"If winter comes, can spring be far behind?" John Crowley.

yoozer

Post by yoozer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:47 pm

When I first started experimenting with a No-S-like approach a couple of months back, I thought there was no way I could do just three meals a day and go without a late-evening snack, because that would mean maybe fourteen hours between dinner and breakfast! So for a while I went with three-meals-and-a-snack, to avoid last-bite panic at dinner time.

That was actually a pretty good system that felt sustainable, but having actually tried doing just the three meals, I find that I'm quite comfortable with it. The dreaded hunger pangs at ~10pm don't really materialise. I have a "safety valve" rule that if I am really craving something later in the evening, and if a glass of water or whatever doesn't cure it, I am then allowed a snack. Haven't had to invoke the rule so far, though. I do make sure that the last meal of the day is big and satisfying.

Whidbey Woman

Post by Whidbey Woman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:38 am

"Last bite panic" is a good way to describe it! I've been doing no-s for about three weeks and I'll admit to feeling that way at the end of nearly every meal. Part of the reason is that I'm finally eating what I want (which turns out is surprisingly healthy) and truly enjoying my meals for the first time in years.

I eat breakfast at 6:30 and lunch at 10:45 (school counselor with a first lunch schedule), so dinner (usually around 6:00) seems like a long way off. I didn't think I'd ever be able to go all afternoon without a snack, but I've been able to redefine hunger as anticipation and it's made all the difference.

I was still sad to take the last bite of quinoa and brown rice (with a bit of butter!) tonight, though.

gk

Post by gk » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:38 am

Whidbey Woman wrote:I've been able to redefine hunger as anticipation and it's made all the difference.
That's a good way of looking at it! Much better to look forward to how good the food will taste in a while instead of bumming about not being able to eat right then.

I've also recently been trying to look at my huge 4:00 snack craving a different way.....Instead of wilting when that time comes because I always used to start snacking around that time of day, I just focus on the fact that dinner is just 2 short hours away. I keep myself so busy during that time that I'm usually surprised when I notice my wait time is up. (Coincidentally, ever since I've started using cleaning and organizing as a distraction, I'm seeing quite the difference in my house! Amazing how much energy hunger can produce.) :lol:
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.