Small Batch Baking

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

Small Batch Baking

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:19 pm

I really am going to have to get a copy of Small Batch Baking, it looks like!

I've been experimenting with making dessert shooters in the mini martini glasses I bought recently. I had an idea to do a teeny parfait with some left-over pound cake cupcakes, and some chocolate pudding. But even one box of the pudding leaves a couple of servings left over.

I've been doing the dessert shooters because it combines the idea of having a special treat with portion control. Plus, I'm just fascinated by teeny things (Like bento). I tease my dad and say it's a holdover from him buying me a circuit board toy set rather than a doll house. When I was a kid. (He knows that I'm grateful that he did buy me stuff to indulge my scientific bent. Most Southern fathers at the time would not have).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew how to make very small portions of puddings and such from scratch. To make enough for dessert shooters for my family, I need less than half a cup. Most mixes make a couple of cups.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:36 am

I'd give credit for this recipe, but I don't remember where I got it!

Homemade Microwave Chocolate Pudding

These directions are for an individual, small, medium or Family size bowl of pudding. Just use the 1st amount for individual, 2nd for small, and so on.

(3 tablespoons) (1/3 C) (2/3 C) 1 Cup sugar
(2 tablespoons)(1/4 C) (1/2 C) 3/4 Cup cocoa powder
(1½ tablespoons) (3 T) (1/4 C + 2 T) ½ Cup + 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
(1/8 teaspoon) (1/4 t) (½ t) 3/4 teaspoon salt
(1 cup) (2 C) (4 C) 6 Cup milk
(½ teaspoon) (1 t) (2 t) 1 Tablespoon vanilla

In either a medium, large or real big glass bowl (check to make sure it fits in your m’wave first) combine the first 4 ingredients. Stir the milk in until it’s smooth (or as smooth as you can make it).

Microwave on high for three minutes.* Stir well. Microwave for 4 - 8 minutes, until thickened, stirring after every minute. Please don’t take the bowl out of the m’wave to stir it unless there just isn’t room, and if you have to take it out be very careful. After a while the pudding is lava-esque and could give you a bad burn.

Once it’s nice and thick stir in the vanilla. Let it cool for a few minutes on the counter, then put it in the fridge for a couple of hours. Check on it every half hour or so, give it a stir, be sure to taste it every time, just to make sure!

*I microwave it for a minute for the individual size, stir and microwave for another minute, then another 30 seconds or so if necessary. I've also done this on the stovetop. Just combine the dry ingredients, add the milk and cook as for boxed pudding. Remove from heat and add vanilla
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:41 am

Oh AWESOME. Thanks so much!
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:33 am

Oh, when I make an individual serving in the microwave, I use a 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:11 pm

Wosnes, saw your recipe on Sunday night and HAD to make an individual serving. For the record, it's also good warm. ;)

(I shared that individual serving with my husband. I don't think he fully appreciated what an expression of love that was.)

Noel, love your "dessert shooters". The name I'm used to for layers of cake/pudding/other stuff (like whipped cream or cherry pie filling or whatever) is "trifle," which seems really appropriate for your tiny servings. The "trifle" I'm familiar with is usually made in a huge clear glass bowl to serve a crowd, lol!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:14 pm

KCCC wrote:Wosnes, saw your recipe on Sunday night and HAD to make an individual serving. For the record, it's also good warm. ;)

(I shared that individual serving with my husband. I don't think he fully appreciated what an expression of love that was.)

Noel, love your "dessert shooters". The name I'm used to for layers of cake/pudding/other stuff (like whipped cream or cherry pie filling or whatever) is "trifle," which seems really appropriate for your tiny servings. The "trifle" I'm familiar with is usually made in a huge clear glass bowl to serve a crowd, lol!
I do usually divide the individual serving into two servings. Well, wait -- let me be honest. I divide it into two servings. Then I take a spoon to the bowl or pan in which I made the pudding. Then I eat one serving warm. The other is usually consumed the next day cold or at room temperature.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:00 pm

KCCC, I didn't actually invent the name Dessert Shooters. They serve them at Appleby's -- desserts in a 4oz. glass. (Which is bigger than a shot glass but is still a great size for a dessert!) That's where I got the idea.

My family loves them. My husband and son are pretty moderate in their appetites by nature, and are very excited at a dinner or two on the weekends including this little treat.
------

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:36 pm

Now, I was assuming this whole time that you were talking about a combination of NoS and Glass Ceiling: I thought you'd pour alcohol over the dessert! :)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:37 pm

Ummm... Layer cake and ice cream with half a shot of Baileys... NOM. That WOULD be an S-day treat, wouldn't it, Dave?
------

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:48 pm

DaveMc wrote:Now, I was assuming this whole time that you were talking about a combination of NoS and Glass Ceiling: I thought you'd pour alcohol over the dessert! :)
That's what I thought too when I first saw the name! Then when she explained it was in a shooter-size glass, it made sense.