I can't believe I did that?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

I can't believe I did that?

Post by Over43 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:20 am

I was sitting on the couch the other day watching who knows what and started flipping through the channels. I came across Montel William's pressure cooker. Normally I very seldom use my credit card. Next thing I know I was on-line buying one. I got the 4.8 litre capacity model, but not the 6 litre.

I'll let everyone know how wonderful it is. :lol:
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:28 am

Good luck and congratulations on your purchase, Kevin! I'm sure it will be money will spent.... here's hoping anyway :lol:

I do enjoy my George Foreman grill.... when I can be bothered raking it out from the back of the kitchen cupboard ....ooops!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:15 pm

I have used the Montel Williams' Pressure Cooker two nights in a row. The first evening was noddles, chicken and a red sauce. Fantastic. Last night was short ribs, and vegetables. Another thumbs up. (Although has anyone seen the price of short ribs lately? :shock:) Tonight is corned beef, cabbage, carrots and potatoes pressure cooked with beer. I am already looking forward to that.

After I bought it Istarted reading on-line that they wear out after about a year. If so, I'm going to buy a Presto 6 quart stainless steel stove top pressure cooker. I have to say they are pretty amazing.

O43

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:54 pm

Over43 wrote:(Although has anyone seen the price of short ribs lately? :shock:) Tonight is corned beef, cabbage, carrots and potatoes pressure cooked with beer. I am already looking forward to that

O43
I bought short ribs (and corned beef) yesterday. If I were cooking for more than just a couple of people, short ribs would be an extravagant meal. All of the "cheaper" cuts of meat are now just about as expensive as the expensive cuts of meat.

My pressure cookers have been in storage for 3 years. As much as I used to use them, I'm amazed that I don't miss them at all.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:00 pm

wosnes wrote:All of the "cheaper" cuts of meat are now just about as expensive as the expensive cuts of meat.
Yes and no. If you're willing to cut up a whole chicken, you can still pretty much count on being able to get it for less than a dollar a pound in my area.

That being said, beans and rice is a fairly frequent dish in my home. While not a vegetarian, I'm pretty good at vegetarian cooking for the simple frugality of it.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:20 pm

NoelFigart wrote:
wosnes wrote:All of the "cheaper" cuts of meat are now just about as expensive as the expensive cuts of meat.
Yes and no. If you're willing to cut up a whole chicken, you can still pretty much count on being able to get it for less than a dollar a pound in my area.

That being said, beans and rice is a fairly frequent dish in my home. While not a vegetarian, I'm pretty good at vegetarian cooking for the simple frugality of it.
In my area, a whole chicken on sale at the supermarket is about $1.69/lb. I give thought to buying the free range birds at the farmer's market -- but that's all I do: give thought to it. Those are about $4/lb.

I do a lot of vegetarian meals or use minimal meat.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:21 am

Corned beef this evening. Cooked it in 50 minutes. (Electric pressure cookers don't have quite the umpf that stove top cookers have...) It was good!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:01 am

I lived in Iran back in the late '70's. Iranians used pressure cookers every day. I've never lived without one since, though most people I know think they are either dangerous or just don't know what to do with them. They had brands there we rarely see here. I have a Presto and one very similar to ones they had in Iran that I got at a swap meet for 7 bucks. Awesome. However I use mine mostly for grains cooked macrobiotic style and use slow cookers for other stuff.

Happy cooking!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:03 am

oolala53 wrote:I lived in Iran back in the late '70's.
Wow, I'd be fascinated to hear any stories you feel like telling from that time.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.