New girl, happy to be here!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

hootski

New girl, happy to be here!

Post by hootski » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi all! My name is Heidi. Yesterday I was on SparkPeople (hadn't logged on in months) and happened to notice someone giving rave reviews of the No S Diet. I was curious, and then delighted with what I found!

Four months ago I decided to adopt a plant-based diet for its health benefits and it's felt great. I don't eat meat or dairy or eggs but I'm truly not inclined to any more, so I don't feel deprived. I also don't eat processed vegan foods. I don't even eat tofu or other soy products because they deplete you of iron and can cause you to become anemic. I'd be an avid fish eater but mercury contamination concerns me so I don't bother...except for the odd smoked salmon! Yum!

I make most of our meals from scratch and have actually come to love cooking, but I especially love to bake and that's why I'm here. I tend to try to be perfect at eating healthy 100% of the time (all or nothing girl here!) and then fall off the wagon but HARD! Sure I still eat healthy meals, but add pies, cookies, cakes and chocolate bars into the mix, and maybe even all on the same day! I can also tend to over eat, especially on vegan pizza. All that homemade doughy goodness! 8)

Obviously I need some balance. :wink:

Glad to be here! I'm already enjoying planning what treats we'll have this weekend! :D
Heidi

Height: 5'7"
Weight: 120.6
I'm a veganesque type girl who tries to follow the Nutritarian lifestyle for the sake of good health and energy. One can only be so good for so long, that's why the No-S-Diet is perfect!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:50 pm

Welcome!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Welcome :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:19 pm

So glad to have you aboard. This is a great place, full of wonderful, caring people.

:wink:
Berry

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:57 pm

Welcome Hootski! Congratulations on making a GREAT decision. No S ROCKS!!!!

PS: Your photo is stunning, btw.

hootski

Post by hootski » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:02 am

Thanks all for the warm welcome! :D

One more sleep and it's the weekend!! 8)
Heidi

I'm a veganesque type girl who tries to follow the Nutritarian lifestyle for the sake of good health and energy. One can only be so good for so long, that's why the No-S-Diet is perfect!

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Hello Hootski,

Nice to see you here.

May I ask, what are the differences between Nutritarian eating and Calorie Restriction/Optimal Nutrition? I tried CRON once, and wondered if Nutritarian eating is more workable?

Edit: I went to this website:

http://nutritarian.com/

Pretty self-explanatory. Glad to see less emphasis on grains. If I ate 5-11 servings of grain a day I'd be waddling.

Thank You,

O43
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:20 pm

nutritarian.com certainly has me on their side with this comment:
Six-A-Day...Not The Way! You have probably heard it’s better to eat six small meals a day. That is absolutely incorrect. The digestive track needs rest in order to properly digest food and to burn it off. Also, the body cannot rid itself of toxins when it’s constantly digesting food. Eating when hungry means eating three meals a day.
Re: the rest of the site, it's hard to argue with the general concept that eating healthier, more nutrient-dense foods is a good idea! I've found that NoS is a good way to "sneak up" on eating healthier: once you've got *how much* you're eating well under control, and no longer need to spend effort worrying about that, you have more bandwidth left over to start thinking about *what* you're eating. I'm nowhere near the nutritarian ideal, but I think my food choices have become better over the past year and a half on NoS.

hootski

Post by hootski » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:04 pm

Over43 wrote:Edit: I went to this website:

http://nutritarian.com/

Pretty self-explanatory. Glad to see less emphasis on grains. If I ate 5-11 servings of grain a day I'd be waddling.

Thank You,

O43
Hey O43! I'm familiar with the "Eat Right America" site, but had never come across the link you found. That provides the best description I've seen yet! Thanks. :)
Heidi

hootski

Post by hootski » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:08 pm

Great observation Dave!

I did the six meals a day for a few years, which worked fine when I was working out hard, but man did I burn out on having to think about 6 meals every day as opposed to 3 good ones. It's not very convenient in real life either.
Heidi

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:44 pm

Glad to see you here.Image
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com