Are you fasting in conjunction with The No S Diet?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:15 am

sbimka,
It's a NO between meals. My favorite line from The No S Diet is, "You're pre-disapproved!"
Kathleen

sbimka

Post by sbimka » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:13 am

My favorite line from The No S Diet is, "You're pre-disapproved!"
Could you explain kathleen?

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:32 am

sbinka,

If you have kids, you know that the worst approach to discipline is something called "intermittent reinforcement." If you give in once -- on TV, on candy, on putting away their backpack after school, they will push for more and more exceptions. The easiest habit is the one that is reinforced 100%. That's human nature. It's not just my kids. It's everyone!

The easiest habit to follow is the one that is followed 100% of the time so that you don't even think about breaking it. There are some people who don't wash their hands after every time they use the bathroom. There are others who are just disguested by this thought. There are some who brush their teeth every morning and evening. There are some (two in my family!) who need to be reminded so that they get into that habit!

With The No S Diet, the idea is that you follow the diet structure of eating mostly at mealtimes. The cultural wisdom is that healthy snacks are necessary, and now there is even a move towards more complexity with snacks -- a carb and a protein. Planning eating several times per day takes time and timing. It becomes a focus of attention.

My experience with following this diet is now I don't think about food between meals. I know I'm not going to eat between meals, so I just disregard any indication of hunger. To be honest, I rarely feel any hunger between meals.

Before starting this diet in September, 2008, I thought about food constantly.

The pre-disapproved line from the book means, to me, that eventually the habit of not eating between meals or not eating sweest except on S Days becomes so ingrained that you don't even think about it anymore, just like most adults don't think about brushing their teeth every morning and evening. The habit has been reinforced over and over again to the point that it becomes automatic.

Kathleen

kwidener7

Post by kwidener7 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:16 pm

I just wanted to thank you for posting this in the first place. It has allowed me to make the jump to trying fasting.

I've done a lot of research online because of this post and am currently on my second fasting day. I did one last week and it was an interesting experience. I've felt stalled in No S for a while now and I think this is what I have been needing. I too felt stuck in a cycle of not truly being hungry.

I'm also combining it with what I think was suggested by wosnes about floating S events. I found myself eating either nothing but sweets on S days or stuffing sweets in to feel like I got my fair share of sweets and ultimately feeling deprived and caving to sweets during the week. I'll often have uneventful weekends and do fun stuff on weekdays and want those sweets.

So my first step was to allow 4 floating S events per week (Sun-Sat), which has been great so far. I am now free to enjoy my sweets (admittedly the only S I really want anymore!) when I really want, have better quality sweets, and don't binge on weekends just because I can.

I was already including mini-fasts on weekends by just getting up and then usually not eating till about lunch time, just because I wasn't that hungry and I was up later than usual. So when I read about this and kept reading elsewhere about fasting, it just seemed like the next logical step to help me get this extra fat off of me. So again, thank you for posting this. I don't think I would have gone this far without being sparked by this post.