Silly Question - Soup for Dinner

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Bean&Sprout

Silly Question - Soup for Dinner

Post by Bean&Sprout » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:19 pm

Hi All,

This is my first week of No S, and I'm sort of in love with it. :) My silly, newbie question is this: how do I handle soup for dinner? More accurately, how to apply the one plate rule to vegetable soup in a way which will not leave me ravenous?

We're having company tonight for supper, and I've made a big pot of minestrone soup, along with a nice loaf of homemade bread. If it were just going to be my family having dinner, I'd simply fill a larger bowl (a bit larger, not a mixing bowl or anything), and have one bowl and one slice of bread. But, we'll be eating with company (well, my MIL, but still), so I feel like it would be awkward (rude?) to use a larger bowl than the one I'm offering her. But, I don't want to violate one plate per meal.

Am I over thinking this? I've been 100% compliant, and don't want to mess it up over a lousy bowl of soup.

Thank you for your patience and responses.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:45 pm

Do you not have enough larger bowls for everyone?

I'd say under the circumstances since you know you would serve yourself a larger portion to start, it would be okay -though a little "funny stuff," as Reinhard calls it- to use the smaller bowls for everyone and serve yourself a second bowl after you finish the first. Just determine it beforehand and be honest about the size of the portion.

Kind of a tough situation for your first week, but it's more how you handle it afterwards. If you just get back quickly to cut-and-dried situations, you'll be fine.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:55 pm

Thank you, oolala, for the reply.

No, we do not have enough larger bowls. To avoid getting caught up in "funny stuff," I think I'll add a salad to the meal. A bowl of soup, some salad, and a slice of bread will be plenty.

I was a little hungry when I wrote my first post. Breakfast wasn't substantial enough to keep the growling tum at bay, so I was borrowing supper's worries needlessly. Now, happily full from lunch, I'm not as worried about supper. :)

I'm quite looking forward to enjoying my bread, without feeling like I'm breaking some sort of diet rule.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:07 pm

Good tactic, adding a little more food. I was thinking that, but didn't want to add to the complication of your getting ready for a guest.

You ARE breaking a diet rule having bread. Just not THIS diet, thank goodness. Nor the diet "rule" of most slim cultures in the world. Ain't it grand?

Enjoy feeling content this afternoon and sharing a regular meal with a friend.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:20 pm

Thank you! I will enjoy the meal, I'm sure.

I had my first child in December, and while I had been losing weight slowly and steadily following a low carb diet, I kept thinking to myself, "This isn't normal! This isn't how I want my daughter to see her mom eat." So, yes, I will savor the bread, and feel good about what I'm modeling for my little one.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:56 am

It is wonderful to read how you want to be a role model for your daughter in regards to food. I cannot remember my mum ever not being on a weird diet and it had a pretty bad effect on me when I was younger. So I commend you for being a great role model!

Also, it's not a silly question - it's probably the most asked newbie-question. To be fair, I don't worry about soup too much. I eat until I'm full and then leave it at that. Just eat slowly and enjoy.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

noni

Post by noni » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:03 pm

A nice bowl of soup, homemade bread slice and a salad sound like a deliciously sufficient meal.

Regarding the mom thing: My mother always struggled with her weight in the far past. She would find out about the next crazy diet and enlist me to accompany her, even tho' I was normal in weight or sometimes 5 lbs or so above that at most. She would do it for a day or two and dump it, while I kept on to lose a few lbs. I couldn't count how many diets. Glad that the last 30 years she gave them up. I continued on myself, unfortunately, but didn't request the honor of either daughter's presence.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:00 pm

Did you have your soup meal, or is it coming up?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:21 pm

Thank you for checking on me. :)

Yes, we had dinner last night. After enjoying my salad, and really enjoying my piece of bread, I only had room for half of my soup.

Today's challenge is a potluck at work, celebrating the successful end of our busy season. I think handled it really well--one paper plate, with a few of the non-sweet offerings. It wasn't health food, by any stretch of the imagination, but it was delicious. As an added benefit, I feel neither deprived, nor uncomfortably full (nor guilty).

I must admit, I'm mildly amused by the groaning and belly-rubbing of my coworkers, who have been eating since we walked in the door at eight this morning. Normally, I would be right there with them, snacking all throughout the day, way over eating at lunch, and going home feeling slightly ill.

The only sweet that's leaving me feeling a little left out is my coworker's homemade cheese cake. So, instead of moping, I'm just going to make a bang-up dessert for Sunday when my parents come for a visit. :)
Last edited by Bean&Sprout on Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:05 pm

Excellent!

Unfortunately, the masses will likely keep thinking there is no way for them to rein in overeating besides some strict diet that won't teach them to enjoy the buffet as you did. I bet quite a few of those people have been on diets in the past. It didn't get them to the middle ground. In fact, it probably contributed to their overeating even more.

It's nice to be in on the secrets: it's harder up front to be moderate, but easier in the long run, and, it's more pleasurable overall.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:17 pm

Nice work! You are making a great start :)

Having an easy, enjoyable strategy for potlucks and buffets is one of my favourite things about No S. And not having to worry about whether something is "health food". I went to bowling event on Sunday with my volunteering group and there was a big table of deep fried delights with bowls of chocolate bars as "dessert". Even though it was an S day, I got one plate, put savouries on it and enjoyed them. Sure, I could have gone nuts because it was a Sunday (and some Sundays I do), but it was actually more enjoyable to eat that way. And without the groaning or promising to start a diet on Monday.

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:15 am

Oolala, I completely agree! Ironchef: I remember you posting ages ago about your first potluck or buffet at work on NoS and thinking I can never do that. 2 years in it doesn't even occur to me to do anything but fill my plate with savoury food and be done with it :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:59 pm

The Gift Of Nos
"Unfortunately, the masses will likely keep thinking there is no way for them to rein in overeating besides some strict diet that won't teach them to enjoy the buffet as you did. I bet quite a few of those people have been on diets in the past. It didn't get them to the middle ground. In fact, it probably contributed to their overeating even more.

It's nice to be in on the secrets: it's harder up front to be moderate, but easier in the long run, and, it's more pleasurable overall."

Author: oolala53
Thank you! :)
________
h

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:03 pm

You're welcome, says the woman who left a buffet last night pretty darn full and a little bit miffed with herself over the last bites. But ultimately, okay with it because it was only one day and an S day at that!

Moderation today is feeling pretty darn good.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

heatherhikes

Post by heatherhikes » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:53 pm

oolala53 wrote:Moderation today is feeling pretty darn good.
Yes, my weekend wasn't that great (it is 11:30 pm here). Hubby is travelling and I feel sorry for myself. :( But tomorrow a new week is starting, and I am glad!
Without moderate and "forgiving" NoS I would probably start a fast tomorrow to compensate for the last 2 days and then crash shortly after, and so forth. We are at a good place, aren't we.
hh
Last edited by heatherhikes on Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The more forgiving and compassionate you are to yourself while you learn, the better. Berating oneself has been shown to reinforce the behavior you wish to change. Ironic, no? But it's good news! We don't have to be mean to ourselves to win - oolala

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:31 am

I'm glad I just saw this. I had eaten rather lightly but solidly in response to hunger today, and was feeling some rumbles now late at night. Because it's an S day, I was toying with eating something dense, but I realize I will feel much better going to bed without that. The middle ground is so much saner.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23