End of first week, no loss?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MWTMAMA

End of first week, no loss?

Post by MWTMAMA » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:44 pm

Good morning all, just finished my first full week of no-s and I did not lose. Very frustrated, given that I did not snack unless I was shaky (had a few almonds or grape tomatoes), had no seconds, and absolutely no sweets except on one S-day after dinner. This is a huge deal for me and I was pretty proud of myself until I weighed this morning. Is the something I should have expected? Is it worth it to continue another week? Thank you for any insight you can offer...
The time is now.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:23 pm

Hi, MWTMAMA,
Yes, yes, do continue! The moderation of the NoS diet doesn't give you the big water weight loss in the first week that crash diets do, but building the habits for long term weight loss and weight management is so worth it. Really, it can take months, but you can know that if you stick to the habits any weight you lose will likely stay off, because you are making permanent changes. It really calls for taking the long view. You have every right to feel proud of yourself.
Do you see any advantages to the first week, ignoring the scales? Building will power, feeling in control of eating instead of being controlled by it, or feeling better without sugar crashes? I don't know if any of that applies, but I feel so much better not eating sugary snacks in the evenings, or during the work day. Most likely the weight loss will come, but it takes time.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

MWTMAMA

Post by MWTMAMA » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:43 pm

Thanks for your response! I do feel that I am much more aware of my eating habits. I realize now I was eating mini meals all day, basically a 14-hour grazing. I was also eating a lot more sugar. I did not exercise all week so that could be a factor. I really, really hope to see some progress next week.
The time is now.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:56 am

Hang in there! No S is a very moderate, humane way of eating, but because of it's very moderation will not usually give quick results. I'd encourage you to give it a couple of months, rather than 2 weeks. I lost at a rate of about 0,5 - 1 pound a week, wgixkhank is easy to miss on the scale when you fluctuate more than that just by eating and drinking each day.
Apologies for horrible typing on my phone!

mitchelll

Post by mitchelll » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:29 pm

As much as I love NoS, I agree that the very slow weight loss is difficult to accept at first, especially if you have had faster results in the past. While it came in stages rather than a steady stream, my weight loss averaged about .5 pounds a week. But eventually those small losses add up; just think, even at .5 pounds a week, that would be about 26 pounds in a year. .

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:12 pm

A week is not long enough to measure how a LONG TERM solution is working. Remember that the losses you read of people having in the beginning have rarely been sustained for a year or more.

How quickly or slowly you lose will depend on a lot of factors.

Please take our advice and look for other measures besides weight loss for progress. You are probably making a LOT Of progress in the areas that really matter for long term sanity with food.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:03 pm

That would not be abnormal. Keep at it. You might see a shift in how your clothes fit before you see weight loss that think is acceptable.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

MWTMAMA

Post by MWTMAMA » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:03 am

Thanks to all! I have come to the realization in this, my second week, that I am getting sugar cravings and hunger pangs but I am finding ways to hold off and it is getting easier.
The time is now.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:30 pm

It really takes several months to change the appetite. That is what you are working on here. Changes in appetite lead to weight loss that is sustained. You are also working on discipline. The discipline you develop over several months will serve you if you decide to make your plan more limited.

Try not to expect NOT to get hunger pangs and sugar cravings. You can learn to deal with them smoothly and rationally. Your body can very easily physically tolerate the temporary conditions that create those urges. It will call on its reserves. Let it do its thing! Get into other areas of your life while it does.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)