The Plan.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

tallgirl

The Plan.

Post by tallgirl » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:19 pm

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I appreciate the variety of responses, which allows me to really think about the benefits as well as the dangers of attempting a lifestyle change in challenging circumstances.

So, all things considered, my current plan is to visit my family with "no S" in mind as a basic guideline, but NOT with an expectation that I can yet be totally consistent about it. As one of you advised, 60% success is better than 0% - and I don't imagine I'll be discouraged by falling short of 100%.

I CAN, for example, eliminate seconds at meals - or if I've emptied my plate and we all remain around the table, I can limit my seconds to vegetables or salad. And believe me: given my mother's cooking, simply eliminating second helpings might very well cut my potential calorie intake by one-third.

I can also limit sweets to one per day, maximum, and I can usually reduce portion size.

Snacks will be harder - it's not realistic to think that I could eliminate them entirely, not around my clan - but an increased consciousness of WHEN I'm putting food in my mouth (and when I should, ideally, not) will improve matters a bit. And every bit helps.

I like this community... I like the sense that I can "report" to someone(s), and be understood and supported and guided.

Mia21972

Post by Mia21972 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:25 pm

I like this community... I like the sense that I can "report" to someone(s), and be understood and supported and guided.
I second that emotion!

Good luck on your holiday. I'll be sending you good thoughts and encouragement. ~Mia
My avatar is my inspiration~ I want to be able to play with my niece without my belly getting in the way!

operababe

Post by operababe » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:48 pm

I third that emotion Mia!

Tallgirl, I'm so glad to hear about your decision, even just being aware of how you are around food, what you're feeling and thinking, it all helps you as you develop new habits with food. Awareness is priceless!

Congratulations for taking these first steps!
It's time to make it beautiful.