Sweet Tooth Explained (Kinda) - Study

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Imogen Morley

Sweet Tooth Explained (Kinda) - Study

Post by Imogen Morley » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:08 am

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 114131.htm

I find it extremely interesting. It certainly confirms my own observations: on days when I eat my three square meals, my sweet tooth doesn't bug me that much. Whenever I try to skimp on normal food (in a real diet style), the sugar monster rears its ugly head, and I eat my way through afternoons and evenings after work. It also seems to be a perfect explanation for stress eating - our brains need extra energy to cope with challenges, which in turn drives us to eat. I'm certainly sold on the idea, and waiting to see more research on this hypothesis.

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:51 am

I think I have more reserves for making an intellectual choice to refuse sweets if I've eaten a meal--but having 3 complete meals per day as I've done on N days for the last 2 months doesn't make me think any less about chocolate, cookies, ice cream or other sweets. If I wasn't purposefully trying to follow NoS for the day, I'd be more than happy to have dessert (though I'd regret the over-full feeling afterwards). I'm pretty sure that's how I've gotten to where I am! I guess I'm not convinced that mice eating for survival (they'd have died if they ate the "fake food" that tasted sweet but provided no energy) means I won't eat sweets if I'm full.

I also wonder how they know what tastes bad to a mouse :-).
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:57 pm

Makes sense. Also lack of sleep makes me crave sweets.
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:36 pm

So how are they thinking this will help? Somehow make everything sweet in the world provide no energy so people have only that lousy-by-comparison tasting stuff with energy to choose from?

But it has been my experience that after my years on No S, I'm less likely to sacrifice space for sweet stuff on my plate.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)