Pets on the No S diet

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lesley

Pets on the No S diet

Post by Lesley » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:25 am

I was looking back at the archives for this message board and someone brought up a great point that I thought might be worthy of sharing again.

When someone has an overweight pet, the first thing the vet will usually suggest is switching them from free-feeding to 2 set meals per day. They will also usually say to limit treats to special occasions. They also add that it's a good idea to exercise the pet a bit more if possible, but mostly they say stop free-feeding because the pet is going to eat more over the course of the day than they need.

The "no seconds" part isn't really involved because nobody is stupid enough to give their dog two portions right in a row -- but we do it to ourselves without thinking.

Anyway, I know my vet gave that very advice to my mom about her dog and it's working well.

Why don't people ever make the leap to realize that it's a good way for humans to lose weight too? We're both mammals. Our metabolisms are not THAT different.

It seems to me the solution has been hiding in plain sight all along.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:39 am

Great observation!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

catservant

Post by catservant » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:36 pm

I love it! You are so right! Sometimes we refuse to believe that the answer is right there in front of us!! :shock: