My Confession: Why I'm Adding Mod's to S days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Elizabeth50

My Confession: Why I'm Adding Mod's to S days

Post by Elizabeth50 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:07 pm

I thought I'd do a "confession" post about these past two S days. Firstly, since I had a fail on Friday, I decided to make Saturday an N day. Then yesterday I realized that I shouldn't punish myself for fail days because I'm just getting started. Also knowing that in the future I will have fail days, I need to just pick up and move forward from there. So from now on, I will treat S days as S days.

This morning I listened to a podcast by Reinhard about S days, and I'm so glad I did. While I realize that S days are meant for total freedom, after hearing his podcast I've decided that I'm going to add a modification to my S days, allowing only two S's per S day. The reason being is that I way overdid it yesterday, which leads me to my confession. I ended up having three, yes three sweets and two leftovers yesterday. A total of 5 S's in one day! :oops: I've learned over the years (through trying Intuitive Eating) that I simply cannot trust myself when left to my own devices. I need structure and so this is why I decided to add the mod. I'm very happy about this decision and can't wait until next weekend to give it a go!

Just wanted to share publicly so I am held accountable, and I think after every weekend (S days) or Special days I'm going to make a post here to update. It will be a great way to keep myself in check.

I hope everyone else had a great weekend and would love to hear your updates, too!

*Side note: I've also decided on certain hours of the day for Breakfast, Lunch and Supper. I will eat at those select times (whether hungry or not) to train my body to want food during those times.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:07 pm

No "confession" needed! Just thoughtful reflection. Well done!

For the first year, I ate many times more S's than that on weekends. Doesn't mean you have to; just means overages happen and may be part of the process. I honestly couldn't stand the idea of cutting back, but for anyone who is ready- and by that I mean it is only a minor struggle to do so-, it makes perfect sense.

I'm also glad you saw that trading a weekday S for a weekend one can come off like punishment for some sin. That can use a lot of mental energy that actually slows down the healing.

I tend to think of S days as S days whether I have an S or not. That way I don't bargain with them. Then it has more to do with whether an S would really add to my sense of pleasure or vitality and only sometimes just plain freedom. Often, they don't. Very little loss involved. Doesn't mean I don't sometimes "err" and eat in a way that's not especially delightful. But it usually balances out.

It took awhile, but the time will pass anyway!

You are right on track.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:57 pm

Oolala, Thank you for your input. I appreciate your perspective on S days and S's in general. I hopefully will learn not to sweat it when I go overboard on the S's, but will try to keep them in check through the mods, as much as possible. :)

Merry

Post by Merry » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:29 am

I hope it works out for you! I'm more like Oolala was in the beginning--not ready to mod my S days yet. I usually have one kinda crazy one and one not too bad one it seems. Of course, with Valentine's Day Sunday I had way too much chocolate yesterday!

I'm hoping that my S days even out more eventually. There are plenty of times where I realize that I really don't feel great when I eat too much junk on S days, and that I tend to feel better on N days. I just haven't quite gotten to the point of wanting to change S days that much (they motivate me through a lot of N days, LOL!)

Overall though, I think the process is working--I eat less on S days now than I used to, and I definitely eat less on N days than I used to--and the routine for N days is starting to feel "normal." I tried intuitive eating years ago but never did get on top of things (and all the analyzing was overwhelming to me, so I didn't keep up.) I'm hoping that N days kind of "leak over" into S days more over time (as I think they've started to with not wanting to overeat or have that stuffed feeling, or not wanting as much sugar as I used to.)

Anyway, I'll be anxious to hear how your S day mods turn out, if you like them, if you decide to keep them long-term or to relax them at some point. Thanks for sharing!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:21 pm

Merry, Thank you for your post. I love hearing how things are starting to balance themselves out on your S days. I'm especially glad to hear that you're starting to eat less on N days because feel like I'm way overdoing the meals, though I am using a smaller dinner plate. Still, I'm filling it quite full. I am going to practice putting a bite or two less on my plate for lunch today. I just had breakfast and there was sparsely a clear spot on the plate. lol I need to learn to not fear hunger! ;-)

I completely agree with you about feeling icky after eating junk food. I most certainly felt that way from the sweets the other day. That feeling alone should be enough of a deterrent to avoid splurging.

Agree on Intuitive Eating. All the wondering, "Am I really hungry? Have I had enough to eat?" is enough to drive one insane! All the thinking about it was as tedious as counting calories. I am so glad to have decided on coming back to No S. It's a good place to be! :)

Thank you for sharing your experience! :)

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:11 am

Elizabeth50 wrote: I completely agree with you about feeling icky after eating junk food. I most certainly felt that way from the sweets the other day. That feeling alone should be enough of a deterrent to avoid splurging.
LOL, I think (hope!) it eventually will, though I confess, it's Tuesday, I'm over the "remember it felt icky?" moment and am thinking...more great treats are coming because Friday is my son's birthday!

Can I stick to cake and ice cream, and not dig into the remaining chocolates from Valentine's day? LOL!

I DID make candy from Christmas last slightly over a month though, so it's not completely hopeless!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:27 am

LOL on treats coming on Friday! Enjoy! :D

I have to say that I had a fail day yesterday because while waiting in line at the grocery store, the milk chocolate/sea salt chocolate bars were on sale and staring me in the face. I'd like to say it was a moment of weakness, but no..It was a downright decision to buy that chocolate and I had it opened and a piece of it melting in my mouth before we even made it out of the parking lot.

I've decided that I'm going to HAVE to remember that S days are coming, and picture how enjoyable those treats will be if I only wait. Now, if I can only convince my taste buds.. :roll:

I really am going to make an effort to think things through before jumping the gun again!

SugarFreebie

Post by SugarFreebie » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:00 am

I haven't deliberately planned to have one Sweet and one Snack on my S days but that's how it's worked out. I've been a little under the weather for the past few days so blessedly little appetite as long as I have my good big breakfast sometime late morning (we're night owls--habit from 10 yrs of working night shift). That one plateful or the equivalent has proven to be plenty so Seconds not an issue. Actually looking forward to some productive N days this week!
Peace out,
Mary S