how to make perfect burger

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MaggieMae

how to make perfect burger

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:18 pm

I know it's EXACTLY related to no s, but since we focus onenjoying our meals, I am reaching out for help. I've been trying to cook more and eat out less. I've tried to make a good cheeseburger a few times now. I followed the Bobby Flay method.... Flip once, never press down with the spatula. It tastes ok and is very juicy. However, when I put it on the bun, all that pink liquid soaks into rhe bun and grosses me out. I've read that it's not blood, that doesnt make it any more appealing. Last night I tried a recipe for a " smashburger", which was tasty but I would like to know how all of you foodies make a gourmet burger without all the red/ pink liquid running out on your plate. Any suggestions are welcome.

noni

Post by noni » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:49 pm

Are you talking about cooking burgers on the grill or frying pan?

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:39 pm

Inside on an electric griddle.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:39 pm

Inside on an electric griddle.

Bullisaba

Post by Bullisaba » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:55 am

I am probably not the one to answer this since I like burger patties thin, but you could rest the cooked meat before you put it on the bun.

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:50 am

Bobbie Flay would probably not like my burgers. I've never liked the "medium" or "medium rare" burger. I like my steaks medium rare, but not my burgers. Season well, make the patties thinner so they cook through, still do the flip once & don't press down method. Tasty but not pink.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

noni

Post by noni » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:49 pm

America's test kitchen has a good burger. I outdoor grill it normally, but I also have cooked it in a cast iron fry pan.

This is for a fry pan. I hope it works the same for your griddle:

1-1/2 lbs on 80% ground beef, mixed with 3/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp blk pepper.

Shape into 3/4" thick patties. Will be 4 to 4-1/2" across (4 patties) and weigh about 6 oz each. Make a well in the center of each patty, going about 1 to 1-1/2" across and 1/4" deep. Preheat your pan for about 5 minutes on med-high heat (lightly grease pan if needed), add your burgers (divot side up, first) and cook 5 minutes on each side for well done. Four minutes may be better for juiciness with very little blood, if any, but it doesn't sound like you want that. I add cheese the last 30 seconds of frying in a pan, covered with a lid.

Maybe toast your rolls if you don't like them very wet.

These burgers are very filling. If I have a picnic with a lot of sides, I make the burgers a little smaller and adjust time.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:52 pm

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I can't wait to try again. I think I do prefer the thinner patties myself. Maybe I'll go that route and everyone else will have to deal with it. If they want thick,gourmet burgers they can take mama out to eat. Haha.