Handling disappointing meals

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

LifeisaBlessing

Handling disappointing meals

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:12 pm

With NoS's emphasis on eating three satisfying meals, what strategies do you all employ whenever you find that your meal is just not what you wanted or expected?

Case in point: I made a dinner about two nights ago that turned out pretty blah. It wasn't inedible, but pretty close to it lol! Since the "blah" part was the protein portion of the meal, I just upped the other food servings to make up for it, but I was really disappointed that the main dish was a flop.

What are some of your ideas? Do you increase amounts of other foods on your plate, or just call the meal a wash and focus on the next one?
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:21 pm

I had this happen a few days ago! Unfortunately, I went to visit my parents later that evening and they had ordered pizza. You can guess what happened. :?
I'll be curious to see other replies.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:08 pm

If it's edible, I eat it, and look forward to my next meal.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

kaalii

Re: Handling disappointing meals

Post by kaalii » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:38 pm

LifeisaBlessing wrote:
Case in point: I made a dinner about two nights ago that turned out pretty blah. It wasn't inedible, but pretty close to it lol! Since the "blah" part was the protein portion of the meal, I just upped the other food servings to make up for it, but I was really disappointed that the main dish was a flop.
i'd do the same...

i recently had a cooking failure, too.. the problem was that it was all mixed up, like a variation of mac and cheese but different (dont even know how i managed to mess that one up) so i couldnt replace it unless i prepare something else, which i didnt want to do and waste food without giving that meal at least a try.... anyway, i was hungry so i have eaten a good part of it but the moment i passed that "need to eat" point it became really horrible to continue eating it, so i threw the rest away...
and waited for the next meal, of course...

this kind of situation happens very rarely... not because im a wonderful cook but because i can eat just about anything (that is vegetarian)...
:D
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

noni

Post by noni » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:50 pm

I just sprinkle on salt. A lot of times when I find myself eating a bland meal, it's missing the correct amount of this seasoning. I even have a small container in my purse for potlucks; they never know I'm salting their food, as I try to be discreet.

Sometimes someone will make a delicious looking meal, but tasting it is a disappointment, and I more than not find out that this cook is afraid to use enough salt, if any.

Merry

Post by Merry » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:17 am

I guess it depends on why the meal wasn't successful. However, I have taken something offensive off of my plate and replaced it with something else of equal size, and simply continued my meal. Or, I left that thing uneaten on my plate and then finished off with something else of equal size (maybe a cup of applesauce with a bit of cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top).

If it was the main course, I'd probably opt for a sandwich or bowl of cereal.

All this assumes I'm at home, LOL! If I was out--I would try to discreetly not eat the item and eat a mini-replacement meal for that item at home, unless there were enough other food items to make up for that one at the event.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Bullisaba

Post by Bullisaba » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:08 am

I find it difficult to waste food so if I thought I could save the dish then I would give it a try but every now and again my chickens get my dinner.

I use the same strategies as Merry to have enough to eat when I don't like my meal.

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:56 pm

All good suggestions! I think ultimately I'm going to try to keep protein sources on hand that I like (eggs, cottage cheese, etc.) so I always have a back up in case another meal fail happens in the future. :)
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

Quick Bites

Post by Quick Bites » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:52 pm

I second the having a backup protein source on hand if that portion of the meal is not tasty enough to finish, my go to is a slice of sprouted grain bread toasted with naturally peanut butter, or skip the bread and have a spoonful of PB right out of the container! I am very aware of how a meal that is short on protein will leave me wanting for my next meal sooner than later!