Snack Foods Question

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

nediswizard

Snack Foods Question

Post by nediswizard » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:05 pm

In the No S Diet website it says:
But I also think that much (if not most) of the fat people consume is in the form of snack foods (chips, crisps, popcorn, etc.) and sweets (candy bars, ice cream, pop tarts, Capt'n Crunch, cake, etc.), which are restricted by the No S Diet (these also tend to be the worst kinds of fat).
But I thought snack foods are a when not a what so couldn't you just eat "chips, crisps, popcorn,etc." during your meals?

Shuggernaut

Re: Snack Foods Question

Post by Shuggernaut » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:12 pm

nediswizard wrote:But I thought snack foods are a when not a what so couldn't you just eat "chips, crisps, popcorn,etc." during your meals?
I suppose you could, but most people don't consider these "meal-type" foods. You'd probably also feel pretty terrible physically, before too long. In most cases, No-S tends to steer people in the direction of more healthful, nourishing fare, as the body is limited to just three opportunities to feed itself a limited amount of food per day.

noni

Post by noni » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:58 pm

When I have a sandwich, I'll add a small amount of chips to my plate. It's No S OK.

I used to eat salty snacks all day. I think that's what the book is focusing on.

liveitup

Post by liveitup » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:38 pm

Yeah, I mean you could have 3 plates of:

B: Donuts
L: Bag of croutons
D: Peanuts, potato chips, and, and ice cream

But in reality there's no way you can sustain that. I couldn't do that for 2 meals without feeling horrible.

I have to say though, I see nothing wrong with starting an S day out with a couple donuts. As long as it's not every day!

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:06 pm

noni wrote:When I have a sandwich, I'll add a small amount of chips to my plate. It's No S OK.
I sometimes do this too. Sometimes I do a half sandwich, small handful of pretzels or chips, and a large piece of fruit cut-up.

Whether you have them or not, they are restricted though--you can't just snack on them whenever or eat them all day on No-S (except on S days)--so you'll naturally eat fewer chips etc...
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:46 pm

liveitup wrote:Yeah, I mean you could have 3 plates of:

B: Donuts
L: Bag of croutons
D: Peanuts, potato chips, and, and ice cream
Lol sounds like a great day to me! :D Seriously, though, there's nothing wrong with doing that on occasion. Meals aren't meant to always be perfect studies in balanced nutrition--where's the fun in that? Especially when you can still achieve your fat loss goals by eating snacks and treats with your meals (it worked for me! :)).
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:56 am

You can eat whatever you want as long as it's on one plate!!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Shuggernaut

Post by Shuggernaut » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:47 pm

lpearlmom wrote:You can eat whatever you want as long as it's on one plate!!
Not if it's a "sweet."

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:56 pm

If you want it can be a mod!

bunsofaluminum

Post by bunsofaluminum » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:29 pm

I had popcorn instead of dinner one night. HUGE batch, coconut oil popped on the stove, butter, salt, garlic powder YUM.

But haven't done it again, and have never done that with any other snack foods. I prefer a balanced plate, and have been doing that a lot more with NoS than I ever used to.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:37 pm

Oh I do the popcorn for lunch often when we go to a movie. I cannot realistically resist movie popcorn so I just make it my lunch.

The point is, don't stress about the details too much. 3 plates, no snacks is the most important thing to me. Get that down and tweak later if it's not working for ya. I lost 45 lbs doing this so id say it works just fine!