6 months experiment accepted!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Post Reply
Poespoemspwnposers
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:33 am

6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Poespoemspwnposers » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:35 pm

I came across the mention of No S on a old Reddit thread. The thread was about habit building.

I checked the website out and instantly clicked with the writing style and purchased the book, simply because I enjoyed the writing style and transparency of the fact that the key points are in the website for free. This along with one specific part is what cemented my will to try this.

"If you're still convinced that you've been doomed by your genes, view this diet as an experiment. If you can stick with it for 6 months and not lose a significant amount of weight, then you can plead genetics with a clear conscience."

I admit I do hold a belief that for whatever reason I am genetically doomed to be fat. This has always been reinforced by every failed diet. I am willing to admit though that the diets failed because I have never created any habits that actually shift my usual way of eating. And I am willing to admit that while I don't think I will ever be thin, I would be very happy with simply less fat.

So! Here we are. I am going to No S it up as close to the letter as I can. I am using my dry erase calendar with the red, green and yellow as a visual I can easily see. I will be walking for exercise to start. I will see in six months if I am a smaller genetically fat person or not. 😂

I am very competitive and really enjoy a challenge/experiment or anything I can view as a quest so this should also be enjoyable, at least that is my mindset going into this.

Thank you for accepting me and I look forward to my time here. ☺️ Happy (I hope anyway) 2021!

Soprano
Posts: 999
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:56 pm
Location: UK

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Soprano » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:04 pm

Welcome, l am sure you will have success.

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Whosonfirst
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:32 pm

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Whosonfirst » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:05 am

Poespoemspwnposers wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:35 pm
I came across the mention of No S on a old Reddit thread. The thread was about habit building.

I checked the website out and instantly clicked with the writing style and purchased the book, simply because I enjoyed the writing style and transparency of the fact that the key points are in the website for free. This along with one specific part is what cemented my will to try this.

"If you're still convinced that you've been doomed by your genes, view this diet as an experiment. If you can stick with it for 6 months and not lose a significant amount of weight, then you can plead genetics with a clear conscience."

I admit I do hold a belief that for whatever reason I am genetically doomed to be fat. This has always been reinforced by every failed diet. I am willing to admit though that the diets failed because I have never created any habits that actually shift my usual way of eating. And I am willing to admit that while I don't think I will ever be thin, I would be very happy with simply less fat.

So! Here we are. I am going to No S it up as close to the letter as I can. I am using my dry erase calendar with the red, green and yellow as a visual I can easily see. I will be walking for exercise to start. I will see in six months if I am a smaller genetically fat person or not. 😂

I am very competitive and really enjoy a challenge/experiment or anything I can view as a quest so this should also be enjoyable, at least that is my mindset going into this.

Thank you for accepting me and I look forward to my time here. ☺️ Happy (I hope anyway) 2021!
That's a good approach, a six month experiment. Only suggestion I'd make is to keep and post a log for accountability.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

Mustloseweight
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:04 pm
Location: UK

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Mustloseweight » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:12 pm

Good luck,

Keep letting us know your progress as that is really inspiring to others.

Anne x
September 2017 - Starting weight: 19st 9lbs
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟
Target Weight: 11 stones

Poespoemspwnposers
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:33 am

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Poespoemspwnposers » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:14 pm

Mustloseweight wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:12 pm
Good luck,

Keep letting us know your progress as that is really inspiring to others.

Anne x
Hello! So far I am down 13.5 lbs. :)

ladybird30
Posts: 649
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by ladybird30 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:26 pm

Welcome & all the best for your 6 month experiment.

As far as genetics goes, you probably already know that most modern health conditions with a genetic component
also need the right (or wrong) environment to trigger those conditions.

When I was a child, back in the 1960s, there was one fat kid in my class. She may have had unlucky genetics, but now
she wouldn't stand out at all. Our genetics haven't changed, but our food & activity environments have. No doubt there are
other factors too.

So you have every prospect of success.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Poespoemspwnposers
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:33 am

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Poespoemspwnposers » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:06 pm

ladybird30 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:26 pm
Welcome & all the best for your 6 month experiment.

As far as genetics goes, you probably already know that most modern health conditions with a genetic component
also need the right (or wrong) environment to trigger those conditions.

When I was a child, back in the 1960s, there was one fat kid in my class. She may have had unlucky genetics, but now
she wouldn't stand out at all. Our genetics haven't changed, but our food & activity environments have. No doubt there are
other factors too.

So you have every prospect of success.

Our modern food based society is the perfect environment for anyone with a genetic disposition to fatness! I do not disagree with you at all.

Thank you. I'm trying to change the deep seeded belief that I will only ever be fat. I used to cry myself to sleep wondering why I was being punished as a child.

I am still not totally sure long term weight loss is possible but I think in this frame work it could help a lot!

Soprano
Posts: 999
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:56 pm
Location: UK

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Soprano » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:38 am

Congratulations on your loss :)

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

oolala53
Posts: 9814
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:46 am
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by oolala53 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:21 pm

Welcome!

Environment makes a huge difference. Thinking of the first example in the book The Hungry Brain, about a man from a South Seas island subsistence culture who moves to the big city and gains 50 lbs. Only problem is it can be very hard to impose subsistence (or alternately, hunter-gatherer) food limits on oneself. Nothing can guarantee healthy thinness, but this is at least a lifestyle that allows for eating pleasure while also creating a bit of restraint. Just to tell you, I lost my biggest drop in the first six months. The next same amount took a lot longer, but i wasn't willing to be more strict, so didn't fuss.

Do you best to make it an experiment of fiercely compliant N days! That's the best way to see if it's got some traction for the future, with possible mods.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 67
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (more flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There was no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Post Reply