My name is Carrie and I am a sugar addict

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

maslowjenkins

My name is Carrie and I am a sugar addict

Post by maslowjenkins » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:47 pm

Hello, all! My subject says it all. I am a sugar junkie. I would go to a 12 step meeting for it if they had them. But I have been back on no s for 8 days now and I am so proud of myself--I can't believe it! I have gone through one weekend and I was good. Saturday was the state fair and I had to have a funnel cake, but that was it! no fried candy bars or cotton candy. Sunday, I had a couple of cookies (really 3 double stuf oreos and about 5 famous amos, but those things are tiny!).
I had a baby 2 months ago and had made it back to my pre-pregnancy weight but then the scale wasn't moving so I came back to no s. I followed no s after the birth of my first child 2 1/2 years ago and loved it!
So, just over one week and I have already lost about 2 pounds! Anyway, I am glad there is now a bulletin board here and I look forward to beating this thing once and for all!
Good luck to you all--
Carrie, Tulsa, OK

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:18 am

Correction: you were a sugar addict. :-)

When you're serious about beating this problem, I don't think the term "addict" helps. It's too passive. An addict can't do without something. You can -- it's just hard. It's not just a matter of will, it's also a matter of habit. But will can alter habit, and habit (unlike "addiction") can also be a force for good. It may seem like nitpicking to insist on certain words rather than others, but how you frame the problem changes the problem.

In any case, welcome and congratulations!

Reinhard

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:50 pm

Welcome and congratulations on the baby. Girl or boy?
A lot of growing up happens between "it fell" and "I dropped it."

mschalock

Post by mschalock » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:26 pm

Hi Carrie. Welcome. I'm impressed that it only took you a couple months to lose the baby weight. It took me longer than that, but it was worth it.

I hear you on the sugar. Eating sugary things seems to turn a mental (maybe physical) switch in me and my self-restraint goes out the window. I feel like I'm an on or off person with sugary foods. I like NoS a lot because on N days, sugar isn't an issue and I sail right through them successfully. On S days it's back to constant thoughts about food. I'm trying to save my treats on S days for the evening. That way I don't graze all day long.

Good luck and keep us posted.
-Monica-

maslowjenkins

Post by maslowjenkins » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:11 pm

Thanks everybody! I appreciate the encouragement.

I did slip a little yesterday. I had a little something sweet (cinnamon sugar tortilla chips) but I had them with lunch. Ok, that's cheating, I know. See, I'm being real with myself. I can do this.

pangelsue--both my children are girls, Stella and Eliza

monica--I didn't gain alot while pg and it just fell off. now the hard part is going to be getting rid of this 20-30 pounds that shouldn't be there under any circumstance, pg or not.

reinhard--ok, habit it is. and only 10 days into it, and I really believe the habit is changing. yes, I slipped once yesterday, but it didn't derail me for the whold day!

Carrie