Smoothies?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ztigerb

Smoothies?

Post by ztigerb » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:42 pm

For in between meals, instead of just drinking water, would smoothies be acceptable?
My mom makes them with a mix of frozen and fresh fruit, fruit juice and soy protien powder.

hexagon

Post by hexagon » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:04 am

The calories in smoothies can rack up surprisingly fast, so I'd watch out. Plus, unless you incorporate the peels, you'll be losing out on a lot of the fiber that can stave off hunger.

Rollo

smoothie?

Post by Rollo » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:20 am

Hi Tiger,

I see you just joined us? Maybe you could tell us a little bit about yourself?
You mentioned your mom makes great smoothies. Are you a young person?

If you feel that 3 meals is just not going to be sufficient for you, maybe in your case it would be OK to do a 3 meals, and one smoothie, a day. But you must be vigilant, as mentioned by Hex, about the calories, also vigilant to not keep adding exceptions to your program.

Fresh fruit is certainly a healthful food. But regarding fruit juice; yes it does have some vitamins, but other than that it is basically sugar and water. "Natural" sugar, but sugar none the less. That makes it not too much different than drinking Kool-Aid. (Yes, I know that to some people my opinion on this matter may seem like blasphemy, please accept my apology in advance.)

Best of luck to you Tiger!
Rollo

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:51 am

I do say fruit juice is ok, but there's something kinda mealy about smoothies.

But if that's what it takes, go for it. I'd limit it to one a day and maybe think of it as a 4th mini meal. It's not ideal, but it's better than permasnacking. And who cares about ideal if it's good enough.

Reinhard

flsunshine

Post by flsunshine » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:29 pm

I must jump in here and say that I've been using smoothies as a breakfast for quite a while now. I count it as a meal, but I've found that by using the following ingredients, it is quite able to hold me until lunch. In fact, it keeps my hunger at bay better than any other breakfast item I've found:

I use:
~ about a cup of two juices mixed together (orange with calcium, V-8 fusion that actually has vegetables in it, 100% apple, or any other juice that has NO high fructose corn syrup or other sweetner)
~ a handful of frozen fruit (mangos, peaches, mixed - again, nothing with added sugar)
~ a heaping tablespoon of organic vanilla or plain yogurt (with live cultures)
~ a heaping teaspoon of soy protien powder with vitamins and minerals
~ 1/2 a banana
~ several ice cubes, until I get the right consistency
~ one date for sweetness

It's yummy and there's lots of fiber, vitamins, protien. Plus, it's easy to keep all the above ingredients on hand. I keep several juices in the fridge and several fruits in the freezer so I can go with either the orange/mango taste or the strawberry/mixed berry taste & eliminate boredom. They're great for the kids, too!

ztigerb

Post by ztigerb » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:49 am

it's been a while since i've been on the boards, thanks for all the replies

I'm 17 and i just discovered/started No S this month. I haven't reached the 21 days yet, but i'm on my way. I've found that I dont get as hungry as I used to in between meals now and i dont think i need the smoothies. Actually i haven't had any since i started No S, kinda odd.

And i've got to say, i really like the ideas reinhard has about all this health stuff. The way he's so relaxed about it really seperates him from a lot of other people trying to "help" people loose weight or get active