Starting for the holidays!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jodyp

Starting for the holidays!

Post by jodyp » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:09 pm

Am I crazy, starting today as I found the web site. Asked my husband to join me but he said, working from home "that would be too hard". I went to the gym today and get get a good routine of going to the gym, so hopefully between NOS and the gym, I can make some progress. Snacking and sweets are my downfall. I am going to be successfull, I have about 20 lbs to loose. If I loose 10 lbs by 1/1/07 I will be thrilled.
Am I crazy????

bobbie

starting with you

Post by bobbie » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:21 am

Well Jody, I'm starting with you today. Actually it's an S day but I ate as though it's an N day. I"ve been lurking here for a while, but today I will start counting.

Also did about 3 minutes of shovelglove. Ouch!

Bobbie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:25 am

Good luck! I disagree with your husband about it being harder to do a simple plan like NoS from home. It's much easier! You just keep the sweets and junk food out till S days.
Have a nice week.
Peace,
Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

jodyp

Post by jodyp » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:50 am

Thanks for the encouragement! My husband likes all the holiday goodies too much too, I think this is the best time to try and limit all the good stuff and then I can still have something on the weekend. Bobbie, I wish you well...............don't skip breakfast :)

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:29 pm

I find doing no s when I'm at home super hard. When I'm at work I have a real schedule, so the moments I can eat are really limited. At home it tends to be a free for all. For that reason I have made one of my N days a weekend day just because it is so hard. If this is to become a habit it has to be a habit at home too.

Oh--but today (sunday) is an n day, and Ive already lost the plot. Grrr.

Z.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:49 pm

I think it all comes down to habits. It's your habit not to snack when you're at work, but to snack when you're at home. Make it a habit not to do that. While it's not easy, it's not all that difficult, either. You just don't keep snack/junk foods around -- except for the S days. And you make sure they're gone when it's not an S day. I've been known to throw out or give away foods that would be tempting.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:59 am

Zoolina, interesting that you chose an "at-home N-day." I'm noticing that I'm not getting as much carry-over of habit on the weekends as I would like, and think it's b/c the weekend patterns are SO different. It IS harder at home. And I did consider making an N-day for at home for exactly the same reasons: I need to be able to do this here, too.

Still pondering...

As for eating this way over the holidays... Go for it! For me, I think it will help a LOT, but I'll be happy if I just don't put on the usual holiday weight. Even the regular allowed foods tend to be "more" over the holidays (eating out with friends instead of eating my packed lunch, etc.).

So not gaining is my "bronze" level - actually losing would be even better, of course!

ThomsonsPier

Re: Starting for the holidays!

Post by ThomsonsPier » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:54 am

jodyp wrote:Asked my husband to join me but he said, working from home "that would be too hard".
I read "that would be too hard" as "I don't want to." Hide all the food!
jodyp wrote:Am I crazy????
No more than the rest of us. Good luck!
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

Iregirl

Post by Iregirl » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:10 pm

Hi, jodyp!

I was thinking about what you asked about being crazy for starting now, a month before the holidays. I asked myself the same question and considered waiting until after them to begin, figuring it would make more sense to do it that way.

Then I thought, hold up, how is that any more sensible? If I start now, I'll have the habits ingrained by the time Christmas is here, I'll probably even be down a little, weight-wise, and I'll be farther ahead after the holidays end than I would be if I just waited. So, starting now is the definite winner!

Yes, I'm a bit worried about overdoing it or losing my path on the S days. I fully intend to take Christmas Day and probably Christmas Eve as S days. If I don't, I'll just be setting myself up for failure. Why make it more difficult for myself? By that point I'll have the S-day habits more firmly in mind, and will (ideally) be able to indulge in some treats without gorging myself like I'll never be eating them again.

I also plan to come to this site and read every single day over the holidays as well. I know I'll NEED the reminder of what my goals are, and even if people aren't posting much during that time I'll still update my daily check-in and re-read threads that have made an impact on me. I'm making it a point to do that now; just come here every day and read some threads, giving input where I can. It really does help to keep my determination fresh.

So, good luck! We're all in this together.

jodyp

Post by jodyp » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:02 am

Holidays here I come! Tomorrow is my third day and yesterday was a killer. I so wanted a snack or some sweets but I made it through. Today was much better, though I feel a bit hungry. I may be a little crazy but this kind of craziness is better than the Starbucks habit or sugar habit. I had to laugh
[I read "that would be too hard" as "I don't want to." Hide all the food!]

I know my husband doesn't want to but he will do it when he is ready....maybe!

Should I start a daily check in???? We all have our own checkin???

I am really proud of myself, I made banana bread and pumpkin bread today and didn't have any and that is why my husband won't do it. He likes the treats. He does pick out some healthy snacks at Trader Joes but he also comes home with Kettle Potato chips.

Everyone keep on the path. The S days will save us during the holidays and we will NOT have S days all the time like we used to :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:58 pm

Welcome, Jody!

The holidays are a tricky time for diet. The status quo, for most people, is to gain weight. So you might want to do what KCCC suggests, and adjust your expectations so that mere maintenance will count as success. Otherwise you might get disappointed and quit -- and gain (I just did a podcast segment on this subject, which I'll post shortly).

I prefer to focus on behavior rather than pounds, because it's something you have complete control over (you could measure this by drawing red (failure), yellow (S-day), and green (success) marks on a calendar for december -- sort of like an advent calendar!). But if you want a parallel pounds goal, maybe make maintenance "bronze," 5 pounds "silver, and the 10 pounds you mentioned "gold."

Reinhard

hexagon

Post by hexagon » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:10 am

Hi,

I'm re-starting a No S 21-day streak after doing really well on it for a month, then making some big life changes (namely moving across the country for a job, far away from all family or friends) and falling flat on my face for a month, diet-wise. I guess in a way I'm in a similar position as you.

I don't think you are crazy to try and eat properly around the holidays, because I've done it before. One year I really watched what I ate during the holidays, limiting my feasting strictly to special celebratory meals, rather than constantly grazing on goodies. I didn't gain a pound, and it felt great. Probably if I'd exercised when I visited my family, I would have even lost weight. Anyhow, I'm aiming to repeat that performance and add in exercise.

Good luck!

--H