Wish me Luck!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

FarmerHal

Wish me Luck!

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:24 am

Well tomorrow will be my very first N day. I am keeping myself positive that it will be a successful day!!!

NO sweets
NO snacks
NO seconds.

Walk walk walk.

I can do this. I have to.

I will NOT weigh myself. I MUST make this a new way of life for me, for my kids for my husband... and for ME.

:!:

Rosemary

Post by Rosemary » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:39 am

shamrock, you can do this, and lots of us are walking with you. It works!

Kwag Myers

Post by Kwag Myers » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:11 pm

Just wanted you to know I'll be thinking about you today and holding you in my heart.
"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time." --James Taylor

benjishi

Post by benjishi » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:17 pm

Woo hoo! It's an N day. Today I learn how much forethough and discipline I can bring to my life.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:55 pm

Benji, you said it perfectly :) Thank you!

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:44 am

How did it go, shamrockmommy?

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:00 pm

Hope yesterday went well and the same for today! :D

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:45 pm

Thanks everyone :)
my first N day was a SUCCESS!!
Yesterday went very very well!! I carried water with me around the house all day (was already a big water drinker, I love ice water!), walked on my treadmill for 1/2 hr (and didn't feel 'pressured' to run and be all crazy on the thing, just a nice 3mph walk, which was liberating in itself, since I told myself it was ok to just walk!) and it was SO nice here (70+!!) which is 20 degrees above normal, that I took 2yr old ds and dd in the front carrier down to the shoreline on a 1/2 mile walk. Saw 2 beautiful swans there also and ds found some nice rocks to look at also.

I did get hungry but I am choosing to interpret hunger differently...
Hunger: I am burning calories elsewhere. My body is not wasting energy on digestion, so it can (and has!)turn it's attention to healing and renewing other areas of my body. I honestly am not going to keel over and die if I don't eat between meals.

Last Saturday and Sunday were S days, but I did make sure to eat sensibly at meals and I only snacked once on Sunday between Lunch and Dinner.

Ok so here's the part about my body healing other parts... I have acanthosis nigricans, which I mentioned on my checkin page. It causes thickened skin where skin and joints fold due to excess insulin spilling around my body. Well I have always had a thickened skin area onthe top of my foot where toes attach to the foot. Very embarassing because it's dark and the skin is thick- looks like it's 'dirty' but usually no matter how hard I scrub, it stays the same.

So took a nice bubble bath last night and set upon foot washing, only to discover that the thick skin sloughed off and my foot looks pretty normal!!
I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but wow! There's still a little area of thickened skin but not like it was just days ago.

I am going to have to freshen my knowlege on insulin resistance again (acanthosis nigricans is a symptoms of that).

Anyway, there's an update for you. I am trying to hold my enthusiasm back a bit because certainly I'll have some sort of setback at some point but what a difference. I don't feel all gassy and bloaty and tired lately either!

Would love to hear about everyone else's experiences when first starting nosing.

Thaks for the support again!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:26 pm

I am trying to hold my enthusiasm back a bit because certainly I'll have some sort of setback at some point but what a difference.
I think the trick is not to expect to be perfect, but to do your best. Undoubtedly, some days will be perfect, some will be okay, and some will be awful.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Kwag Myers

Post by Kwag Myers » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:54 pm

Hurrah! I'm glad your first N day went so well. I know what you mean about not wanting to be too enthusiastic, but I think there's a difference betwen having unrealistic expectations and having a healthy dose of enthusiasm. Initially, it's your enthusiasm that will carry you through when you're tempted to snack or eat something sweet. You can rely on it to ride those times out. Later, when this becomes second nature, you might even have to summon it up to prevent boredom from setting in. Your enthusiasm is a fine thing.

Have another fabulous day today!
"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time." --James Taylor

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:44 am

Congratulations and retroactive good luck!

Enthusiasm is inherently temporary, but if you use it to lay strong habitual foundations, they're even stronger than enthusiasm.

I like your "reinterpretation" of hunger. A little hunger is good. And once you get the habit down, you won't feel more than that good little.

Reinhard