Going To Bed Hungry?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

JustAnnie

Going To Bed Hungry?

Post by JustAnnie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:28 pm

I know that eating at night is going to be my biggest hurdle. I know eating in the late evening is NOT a good thing to do and is not part of the No S plan but I get so hungry at night that I can't even sleep. Does anyone have any ideas about how to handle this problem? I may need to build some kind of minimal calorie nosh into my plan so that I'm not lying awake all night with hunger pains.
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:21 pm

Have a glass of milk. Caloric, full of protein, and totally legitimate, No-s wise. Warm milk is supposed to have a soporific effect, too.

If you stick with 3 regular meals, I think this nighttime hunger will go away soon. It's no surprise that your old bad habits, still firmly in place, are objecting "hey, what's going on here?" Be firm and you'll quickly build new habits that insist on the opposite.

Reinhard

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:27 pm

I know eating in the late evening is NOT a good thing to do
I wonder where we got that idea? People along the Mediterranean have routinely eaten the evening meal very late in the evening, especially in the summer. A friend of mine has been married to a Spaniard for over 25 years, and he still prefers to eat dinner between 9 and 10 in the evening. He's the slimmest (by far!!!) in the family.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:41 pm

I was struggling with this myself just last week. But I am also breastfeeding my 4 mo old too so I am sure that has a lot to do with it.
Like Reinhard said a glass of milk helps. I find a cup of decaf coffee really helps to settle my stomach in the evening before bed.

And like Reinhard said also give your body time to adjust. If you were a grazer, you pancreas has come to expect you to eat, and so it sends out a dose of insulin in preparation to digest food. Then ya get hungry.

Hang in there :) it's worth it.

hexagon

Post by hexagon » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:02 am

Hi,

From what you've written, I am assuming it is real, physical hunger that's keeping you up, not habitual cravings, right? I've definitely been so hungry (with REAL hunger) that I can't get to sleep a few times. For me, I've found that this happens (not surprisingly) when I've been getting a lot of exercise and not eating very much.

To deal with this, I've increased my dinner portions, usually just adding a bit more protein and veggies (duh!), or eaten my dinner later. If I do get stuck (say, I've had to stay up until midnight due to a long workday and I ate dinner at 7 pm) I'll first try water. If the hunger really doesn't go away, I'll eat something like a bit of yogurt (not sugary stuff) or an apple, since I don't always have milk around. Before everybody gasps and says what a terrible person I am for suggesting this lapse in discipline, it totally works out with virtual plating. That is, unless you crammed your dinner plate to the brim with a big pile of fries. My dinner plate generally always has room for some extra apple slices.

It's worked for me, certainly--I've been steadily losing weight.

Having traveled/lived in countries where they do eat late regularly (including Spain) I have to say I agree with Wosnes. Late-night eating alone doesn't make people fat. I think that the problem with late-night eating for Americans is that it is more likely to be uncontrolled quantities of food, in particular junk food or snacks.

--H

nonskanse

Post by nonskanse » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:39 am

Agreed. My late night eating is always something like chips or popcorn.

I don't like to eat dinner before 7, and I'm always a little hungry at bedtime when I hop back on the No-S horse anyway. Eat gigantic dinners for a few days and don't nighttime snack on the weekends and your insulin production will be whipped into shape :)
"It's the perfect time of year
Somewhere far away from here"

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:07 am

Thanks. I will try drinking a glass of milk before bed tonight. It's good to know I am not alone in this problem. And yes, this is not "brain hunger" . This was gut gnawing hunger that wouldn' t let me sleep. :cry: I'll let you know if the milk does the trick tonight.

Oh.......and I've always been told that late night eating is bad because the body doesn't digest well when you are sleeping, especially if you are over 40.........which I am.
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:30 am

Oh.......and I've always been told that late night eating is bad because the body doesn't digest well when you are sleeping
I think we've been told a lot of things about what's right and wrong or healthy or not healthy or good for us and not good for us. It just depends on what someone found worked for them -- and they thought would work for everyone.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."