When do you eat?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

zoolina

When do you eat?

Post by zoolina » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:40 am

I have a very irregular work schedule. There is no one time of day to take lunch; some days I have to eat at 11:00 and some days at 1:45. I'm finding it very difficult to build habit this way because the old grazer in me wants to eat at 11 AND at 2:00.

Any ideas and/or reflections on this? When I first started Nosing I ate lunch at exactly the same times each day, and this really did help build habit. Now, with this new schedule I just feel all out of whack, and I think it's been contributing to the relatively high "failure" rate these days.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:25 am

You have my sympathy on this one. I ended up leaving no-s for a while because I just couldn't make it work with the really weird meal times I had at work. Bad decisision. Better decision: do the best you can and just hang in. If you have to do virtual plating, or split meals, then so be it. If it's too long from one meal to the next, try a glass of juice. Imperfect is still better than nothing, so just don't quit.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:28 am

I have a very irregular work schedule. There is no one time of day to take lunch; some days I have to eat at 11:00 and some days at 1:45. I'm finding it very difficult to build habit this way because the old grazer in me wants to eat at 11 AND at 2:00.
When I worked I had much the same problem -- and since I was usually at work for both lunch and supper, it was often both meals that were messed up. I just ate at the meal times.

It's certainly not the best situation, but I'd recommend just eating when you get to eat and not grazing.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:02 pm

For me, breakfast and Dinner are very fixed (my 2 year old insists): 7 AM and 6:30 PM.

Lunch can float around a bit. If I'm eating my "default" oatmeal, I at at noon. If I'm eating with others it depends on their schedule. I have a standing weekly lunch with friends on Tuesday at 1:45.

The more regular you can make it, the better. Can you plan ahead at all, or are your workdays total chaos? If chaos, anything you can do to put some structure on it would help...

Reinhard