HabitCal -- tags

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ClickBeetle

HabitCal -- tags

Post by ClickBeetle » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:04 am

I've not been able to add a tag to HabitCal that I would like to create for "sleep habit". It doesn't let me type anything in the little box -- it just displays "NoS".

In case it's relevant, every time I would like to edit my calendar to add a NoS day, to get the calendar to display, I have to hit "Add", then a thing pops up saying I have to click here to temporarily enable scripted windows, then after I click that, I can hit "show" and the calendar displays. Though the tags box remains blued out (highlighted) throughout this process, I can't add anything in any case.

Anyone else encounter this? Is it just stupid IE?
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:13 pm

Hi ClickBeetle,

I'm testing on IE version 6 on windows XP (where it works ok). What version of IE are you using? You must have had this working at some point to create your NoS tag. Did you use a different web browser or computer to do this?

Also, there are a couple things that you're doing that don't sound quite right:

1) to edit your calendar for an existing tag, you don't have to click 'add.' 'add' is only for adding new tags. To edit an existing tag, click on it to select it (or control click to select multiple tags) and then hit the "show" button.

2) you can't type directly in the tags list. To add a new tag to the list, click 'add.' You should then see a popup window with a text input box. Type the name of your tag in this box and hit 'ok.' It will then be added to the tag list. To view/edit the calendar for the tag, select and hit 'show' as described above.

3) tags have to be one word, no spaces. So sleep_habit or sleepHabit, not "sleep habit."

Please keep bugging me if nothing here helps, one way or another we'll figure this out.

Reinhard

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:42 pm

Hey, thanks, Reinhard. I will try those things! Might not be able to respond til next week as I am headed off for a beach weekend. But til then -- I have IE v7, Windows XP. Updated IE a few months ago with something that MS sent everybody-in-the-world and I know a lot of people said they hated it but I don't imagine that is relevant.

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:54 pm

Well, I just tried what you spelled out, and was successful at adding a new tag. I marked the new calendar, and hit 'Save,' but it shows blank when I call it up again. No doubt it is something I am doing again!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:11 am

Well, it does look like your new tag was successfully added:

http://everydaysystems.com/habitcal/vie ... leep_Habit

So hopefully you should be able to add entries for this new habit (looks like you've been able to add NoS entries ok).

I'll see if I can get my hands on a windows vista/IE 7 machine. If it's not already, that's going to be the most common user browser/operating system combination and I have to make sure it works.

Thanks for reporting this!

Reinhard

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:08 pm

Hi Reinhard, -- I tried it again and as before it did not save my changes. It saves them for NoS tag, but not for the new tag SleepHabit. To be more specific, it clears out the calendar when I hit "show." Sorry to be a PITA! Not important if you have better things to do with your time!!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:33 pm

ClickBeetle,

I should be able to get access to IE7 and take a look at this tomorrow.

Don't be sorry about bugging me about this -- it's a favor, to others who are probably just silently being frustrated, and to me, because I really want this to be a useful tool.

I'll post to this thread with updates.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:19 pm

Hi Clickbeetle,

I installed IE 7 on my "parallels" version of windows xp at work and see something annoying, but I was able to get past it and use the habitcal.

The annoying thing is when I click the "add" link, this little bar appears at the top that says "click here to temporarily enable scripted windows." When I click it, I'm then able to click add and input a new tag. I will see if there is a way around getting this baffling message by coding the habitcal differently, but for now, you should be ok if you just click it and then re-hit "add."

But it seems like you made it past this issue already since your new tag is visible. I think the problem you're now facing is that you're hitting "show" instead of "save." Hitting show will refresh the page without pushing your saves to the server -- you'll lose your changes. I'll fix the habitcal so that it at least gives you some kind of warning prompt if you try to do this, but in the meantime, I think you should be able to save your changes by being careful to hit the save button instead of show.

If this doesn't fix your problem, please keep posting here. I'll keep on top of this until it's fixed. If it's a problem for you, I'm sure it's a problem for others, too.

Reinhard

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:15 pm

Hello, hello. Here's a set of lovely instructions which seem to help (adapted from another site).

1. Go to Tools in Internet Explorer 7, then click on Internet Options.
2. Go to Security tab.
3. Select the Trusted sites zone.
4. Click on Sites on launch the panel to manage trusted sites.
5. Uncheck the “Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone†box at the bottom.
6. Type "http://*.everydaysystems.com" in the "Add this site to the zone" box and click Add when done.
7. The website should listed on the middle box Website listing.
8. Click Close and then OK to exit.

As a side note, clicking the one-off "allow" button causes the site to reload from the server, thus erasing any input you've already made. As far as I'm aware, there is no coding route to avoid this because IE treats all scripting as malicious unless verified as trusted by the user. Isn't IE just the bestest browser ever?
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:33 pm

Tried the tips that ThomsonsPier kindly provided -- still no go. I hit "Save changes," then when I show the calendar again, whisk! all changes have vanished, and the calendar is blank. Never happens for NoS calendar, tho. Weird! I'll go back to my index cards. Thanks for working with me, Reinhard & ThomsonsPier.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:12 pm

Hmm. Baffling. I'll keep on this and post when I can reproduce/fix.

Reinhard