Recent Login Problems (Firefox only?)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

Recent Login Problems (Firefox only?)

Post by reinhard » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:23 am

A lot of people have been reporting login problems over the last week.

It seems to be confined to Firefox users.

What happens is you try to log in, it seems to work (no error message), but then you're not really logged in.

I think I understand why this is happening and I've made a partial fix on the webserver -- the problem is you may have some junk in your browser "cookies" that will make this problem persist. So if you're experiencing this, open your cookies, scroll down to "everydaysystems.com" and click "remove cookies." Then log in again and everything should work.

I know this is annoying (and scary if you're a technophobe) so I'm going to try to figure out a way to hack the bulletin board code to do this automatically for you (or at the very least, have a separate page you can click on to fix the cookies). But if you're feeling impatient and this doesn't sound too daunting, I'm reasonable sure it will fix the problem.

Sorry for the nuisance and thanks all who reported this to me and persisted in letting me know "sorry, it's still not working...." until I was able to zero in on a fix (I hope).

And don't hesitate to email me if it's STILL not working for you or you are otherwise baffled.

reinhard.engels@gmail.com

I'll report any updates on this issue to this thread.

Best,

Reinhard
Last edited by reinhard on Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

mschalock

Post by mschalock » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:58 pm

Thanks for the help. I followed your directions and it worked. Now I can log in to change my habitcal.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:03 pm

Thanks for letting me know, mschalock.

Other firefox users have also been emailing me that this fix works.

But now I've gotten a few emails from users of other browsers that they are having problems (safari and aol browser). Both of these browsers work fine as far as I can see, but please email me if you are having problems -- the more data points I have the better I can triangulate this issue. I suspect that this issue is also "rotten cookies" and that if you clear cookies it will fix things, but I can't reproduce the bug so I can't confirm that this is the case.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:33 pm

Seems like there are still some stragglers out there with bad cookies, so I'm going to make this discussion "sticky" again.

I'll also post more explicit browser specific instructions on how to remove your bad cookies in a bit. I'd just about finished composing a detailed howto when my "uncrashable" os x mac went grey and informed my in 5 languages that I needed to restart my computer. Need to recuperate before trying again...

Reinhard