Hello from a "Newbie"!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MainEac

Hello from a "Newbie"!

Post by MainEac » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:19 pm

Just found this site, and I'm excited by what I've read so far. I think this will even be simple enough for my poor overworked brain to comprehend. LOL

Lots of reading to do, though before I really jump in.

I'm really loving the concept...

Any advice for a cook who works with food five days a week? :?:

It sure does make it difficult to follow any kind of diet.. I really need some words of wisdom for maintaining willpower..

Regards,
M

phano

Post by phano » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:47 pm

Welcome!

Oh, a cook. You must deal with a ton of temptation! I guess the best advice is to start having respect for the rituals of eating. If you have to taste test something, fine, but don't pour a whole bowl or plate of it, unless you're about to eat YOUR meal. Think about how much better things taste when you can sit down and enjoy them properly, not rushing around or standing up.

Hope this helps! And good luck!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:34 pm

Welcome, MainEac!

I think no-s is much more cook-friendly than other diets. After all, there are no blanket categories of food you can't eat. And the emphasis on meals is just good gastronomy.

Probably the biggest challenge will be defining and limiting "tasting." It's obviously a professional necessity, but you also want to keep it from degenerating into permasnacking. I think if you're conscious of the issue and honest with yourself it isn't actually that confusing -- at least, as an enthusiastic amateur, I don't have problems with it.

Best of luck and keep us posted,

Reinhard

MainEac

Thanks for the welcomes and feeback!

Post by MainEac » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:37 pm

rxea - I do deal with a lot of temptation every day, but since I've worked at this restaurant for almost 30 years it's kind of like being at home in that some days I can't seem to find anything to eat that I want.

Being able to sit down and actually enjoy a meal when it's busy at work isn't really an option. This time of year is pretty slow, though.

Thanks! Have you been on this diet very long?

Reinhard - Thanks so much for the feedback as well. I don't think tasting is much of a problem for me. I have really weird eating habits, though.

I also have a very hard time with doing anything in "moderation". I'm either doing it full bore or not at all.

I think for me it's more of a mental thing.

But I'm going to give it a go and see what happens..

Oh, btw.. Love your sense of humor! :)

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:56 am

Welcome MainEac

I am also an all or nothing kind of person, and No S suits me marvellously. I stick to my 3 meals a day and enjoy some planned treats over the weekend.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

Dawn

Hey there fellow Newbie

Post by Dawn » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:09 pm

I just started too - about 5 minutes ago - goin good so far :o

Here's my take on willpower - it fades fast so you need a back up plan. I usually have a ton of willpower when I first start off on a plan, but then it fades. But it sounds like with this plan that by the time the actual will power starts dropping off we should see a few pounds gone and the new habit of the no S's kicking into auto pilot, or at least enough that between the two we can find the motivation to keep going, until there is only a managable amount of willpower needed. Or at least that is what I am hoping for.

Good luck, I'll be watching for your progress.
Dawn