quit smoking...falling down on NoS

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

phano

quit smoking...falling down on NoS

Post by phano » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:20 am

I quit smoking. Today is my fourth day without a cigarette. I'm not having bad withdrawal symptoms, except being a bit hyper and feeling snacky. I was trying to limit myself to just a couple of ginger chews to get over the hump, but I completely lost it this afternoon and had a lot of snacks and a too-big dinner. Now my tummy hurts. I wanted to give myself the option of an ease-up of NoS, just so I wouldn't go insane, but now I'm questioning that.

Any other former smokers have some thoughts?

Thanks!

JeanDC

Post by JeanDC » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:36 am

I'm very new to NoS, just over a week, but do have stopping-smoking experience.

I was following a sort-of similar plan to NoS when I quit 18 months ago. I ate no sugar at all, 3 healthy meals a day but with snacks thrown in. For the first 4 months or so I forced myself to keep on my food plan. I did eat a little more (mainly in the form of extra or larger snacks) and put on a few pounds.

Over New Year I lost the food plot completely. I managed to put on 3 stones in weight in the following 12 months, and have been eating a very junk-filled diet. I've felt my eating was out of control. This has made me quite miserable, and I've thought about starting smoking again deliberately. Now I'm tackling this with NoS.

With hindsight I would have been extra, extra strict with myself around my food plan. That would have given me control over that whole section of my life (food) during a difficult time, and would have made the whole experience of stopping easier, as I would not have had the 'I'm so fat nows!' misery.

I'm still stopped though, and am expecting to take a year to take off the weight that I put on in the last year.

Jean

NoelFigart

Re: quit smoking...falling down on NoS

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:07 pm

phano wrote:I quit smoking. Today is my fourth day without a cigarette. I'm not having bad withdrawal symptoms, except being a bit hyper and feeling snacky. I was trying to limit myself to just a couple of ginger chews to get over the hump, but I completely lost it this afternoon and had a lot of snacks and a too-big dinner. Now my tummy hurts. I wanted to give myself the option of an ease-up of NoS, just so I wouldn't go insane, but now I'm questioning that.

Any other former smokers have some thoughts?

Thanks!
Not a former smoker, but...

You'll find that working on one habit at a time is a good idea. What habit do you want to work on first, No-S or No Smoking?

And how long had you been No-Sing?