Visualization technique that helps (me)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

2poodles

Visualization technique that helps (me)

Post by 2poodles » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:39 am

I want to share something that I read on some other board somewhere. It's not my original idea, but I've been borrowing it because I find this visualization tip very helpful and inspiring.

Losing weight and getting healthy are like being on a bridge. Staying true to the No S rules means I'm crossing the bridge towards my goal. When choosing whether or not to deviate from the No S rules, I'll stop and actually visualize myself on that bridge. My choice (to snack, have seconds, eat sweets, whatever) will determine if I continue to cross the bridge toward my goal of good health or turn around and head back the way I came from. It's a question of how quickly I want to achieve my goal.

And what's nice is that if I find myself going the wrong way on that bridge, because of a poor decision, it's totally within my power to choose to turn around and head back across the bridge towards my goal. One (or many) poor decisions just mean I've backtracked, not that I've given up and thrown myself off the bridge!

I'm very visual, so "seeing" myself on that bridge is very powerful. Perhaps it will prove helpful to some of you.
2poodles

maslowjenkins

Post by maslowjenkins » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:56 pm

love it! I so thought you were gonna jump. glad you didn't! I'm going to use this from now on. thanks!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:00 pm

This is a great image...

Another, related way to picture it is as a chain. Everyday you're "on habit", you add a link to that chain. If temptation is looming large and you're considering going off habit, ask "even if one day doesn't make such a huge difference in itself, do I really want to break this great tremendous chain I've been building?"

Reinhard

swimfit

Post by swimfit » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:08 pm

Very helpful! Thanks for sharing. I plan to use it!! :-)

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:24 pm

Hey the bridge a super idea. All you have to do is turn around and get back on track. Added to the chain idea there are two fantastic visual aids to keep you moving forward.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:00 pm

I like these examples.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

viggie

Post by viggie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:48 am

I like the chain visionalzation. I think I'll use paperclips for the chain. Then I can hold on to it. If I have 30 or 31 paperclips at the end of the month I'll get that gold metal. Thanks for the idea!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:06 pm

viggie wrote:I like the chain visionalzation. I think I'll use paperclips for the chain. Then I can hold on to it. If I have 30 or 31 paperclips at the end of the month I'll get that gold metal. Thanks for the idea!
Oh, that's too cool! I love it!

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:58 pm

I really like the chain idea...and the paperclips, because it's something tangible/physical to see and touch. :)
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!