Frustrated with myself...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

2poodles

Frustrated with myself...

Post by 2poodles » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:11 pm

The past couple of weeks have been hard. I'm not real sure why. I guess with Easter and cooking for guests and chocolate bunnies I just overdid everything. :oops:

I feel like this diet is the best, most sensible way to eat. But. I really would like to lose the weight fast and then keep it off by eating this way. I know that's a wrong-headed approach, but I'm impatient. :roll:

I suppose I just need to start over, huh?
2poodles

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:30 pm

When you do what it takes to lose weight fast, the weight tends to come right back when you start eating "normally." Some things just take time. Sustained weight loss is one of them.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:56 pm

I've also fallen off the wagon in the last two weeks. This week is better, but I still break at least one rule daily. I have by no means been binging the last two weeks, but I haven't been following No-S at all. The upside to this is that I realize how much happier being on No-S made me, so on Monday it's going to be very easy for me to get back on track, and it'll be easy for you too, I promise. Even when I screw up, I don't lose faith in the plan. No matter how many times it happens, No-S and everyone here will be here for me (and you) to come right back. So dust yourself off, and don't let food defeat you. It's delicious, but it's just food.

Best,
Jocelyn

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:52 pm

I have been doing this for about 1 month longer than you and I have not lost anything - maybe 1 pound. So I totally get your frustration. I too have had thoughts of doing something else to get the weight off and then using the No-S as a maintance plan. Especially since I have maintained my 167ish since starting. Which is a miracle in itself. Normally I fluctuate 3 or 4 pounds per day. So I know I am consistent with my eating now and that is such a great start. Now I just need to tighten up here and there so I can see some loss each month. I only need to lose 17-20 pounds and I know from reading the book/boards that people in that category go super slow and it may take a whole year. Scary at first, but now I see the beauty in this plan and the pressure is off. My main problem, or actually my only problem is S days gone wild. Granted they are no where near what they used to be before No-S but still they are keeping me from any weight loss. I started a new post the other day "Better S day challange", so if you find your S days are a problem maybe you could check out my post and join my little challange.

Hang in there, you KNOW this is the one!!!!
Dawn

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:35 pm

Dawn wrote:I have been doing this for about 1 month longer than you and I have not lost anything - maybe 1 pound. So I totally get your frustration. I too have had thoughts of doing something else to get the weight off and then using the No-S as a maintance plan.
You know, Reinhard made no bones about the fact the weight did not melt off just from the good habits of No S.

He was also walking about 90 minutes a day and doing 15 minutes a day of Shovelglove.

That 8 hours of exercise a week he was getting hadda have something of a positive effect on the weight loss, whatcha think?

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:55 pm

You know, Reinhard made no bones about the fact the weight did not melt off just from the good habits of No S.

He was also walking about 90 minutes a day and doing 15 minutes a day of Shovelglove.

That 8 hours of exercise a week he was getting hadda have something of a positive effect on the weight loss, whatcha think?
That was my point - it will NOT come off right away, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating at times. I wouldn't trade what I have gained on this plan for anything. And I am so glad that 2poodles vented here so that we could tell her/him that she/he is not alone, and to hang tough. And as for the 90 min of exercise plus the shovelglove - well, that's just not feasible for me to keep up routinely. I can and do however walk 3 miles at least 5 days per week - 3 hilly miles. So between that and the rest of No-S I am sure I will lose eventually, it's just a matter of tighening up a bit on my S days. I'll let you all know how my S day challange goes.
Dawn

2poodles

Post by 2poodles » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:10 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! I wish I had looked at the boards and posted several days ago and stopped my over-eating back then. (Mental note: next time I feel like binging or snacking or sweet-ing, read boards and post for encouragement!)

And I have kept up with the exercise. For some reason I find that easier than the eating. I've been doing the couch potato to 5K program on www.coolrunning.com . I highly recommend that to anyone who's interested in starting a running program in a very gradual, controlled way. I'm starting week 9 of the 9 week program and can now run for 30 minutes! Amazing, really, when I think that 9 weeks ago I hadn't ever run before. Plus I'm 45 years old and carrying an extra 20 - 30 pounds.

Mentally I KNOW that slow and steady will triumph. It's just like I said, I tend to not be a patient person. :wink:
2poodles

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:24 pm

Hi 2Poodles.

I was going to start the Couch to 5K thing just this week! I love that program. I did it last Spring and then kind of had to give it up when my knee was bugging me.

I know what you mean about checking the boards. Right now, it is about 4:30pm here in CA. The most dangerous time for me: afternoon snack temptation, coupled with it being a Friday! So I too, was looking at the boards for a bit of inspiration!

It does take time for the weight to come off with NoS, depending on how much you need to lose. The less you need to lose, then sometimes, the longer it takes. But, the great thing about this diet is that it fits into every day life. You can still socialize, go out to dinner, hang out on the weekends and enjoy eating, etc. So, these rules are really easy when you look at it that way.

Off to have a cup of coffee...(another tactic to avoid eating :) )

CVmom
(P.S. I have 2 Havnese puppies, maybe I should change my name to 2Havs!)

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:45 pm

You know, 2Poodles, I've done a month of No Snacking and two weeks of complete NoS and I don't think I lost any "weight" per se, I even think that I haven't lost any inches in the places that you are supposed to measure, but I can tell I have lost some fat in my upper arms, in my thighs (no hips) and upper torso and I've only noticed that by putting on clothes and seeing that they were looser over those areas.

The thing is, you aren't going to see miracles here, in order to lose weight systematically and regularly, you have to consume the exact ammount of calories and burn the exact ammount of calories per week as in a diet-diet and that isn't what we are doing with this way of eating.
Even though we are practicing moderation in all things, some days we eat more, some days we eat less, like regular, normal people and that translates into slow, sustainable weight loss.
I would suggest you to focus in learning about this new moderate you and getting confortable with yourself.
I learned yesterday that a ham sandwich + brussel sprouts + mango and yogurt = too much food all together; now I know that next time it will be half a sanwich, brussel sprouts, mango and yogurt and I will be satisfied but not stuffed.
By focusing on those things and not focusing in how much weight I might or might not have lost this week, I feel better and whenever I see changes, no matter how small, I feel confident that this is working.

Maybe this approach will work for you too.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:45 pm

I somehow missed this post but I also want to chime in with "Just keep Trying!" :) Take it meal by meal, heck, hour by hour if you have to and you'll get back into the swing of things (time and again).

I speak from experience of frustration and falling off!! :lol:
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18