I have learned...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lilly

I have learned...

Post by Lilly » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:37 am

that almost no one wants to hear about the latest diet I am jazzed about and EVERYONE wants to know "how I did it" when the wt. loss begins to show.
So the best advertisement and to get the message out is truly via WAY of MOUTH with no s. :wink:

One more little hint: Over the years many "losers" have wanted to know how to handle all the "interest" and "comments" on their wt. loss and the way they now look. With this sane, safe rate of wt. loss someone WILL look at you and ASK if you had the wt. loss surgery because "all of a sudden" you look thin. I mention this as for many people with alot to lose coming out of the muumuu can be uncomfortable. It helps to have thought a lil of this through when suddenly you are the center of attention.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:55 pm

I've had a negative experience with this. When I lost a lot of weight about 2 or so years ago, I kept getting these "you look so skinny!" compliments (I was 140 lbs). Well, when the weight crept back up recently, it left me feeling SOOOOO bad about myself. When I was at 154 lbs around Christmas, I had a few anxiety attacks. I know it's not that fat, but still, it was 14 lbs from people giving me compliments. I still feel bad sometimes. I'm not sure what the moral of this story is here, but it's just the other side of the coin of your post...
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

silver

Post by silver » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:17 pm

same here. when i got to my ideal weight, 176 centimeters, 65 kilos, size 12 in britain (sorry i just can't bear the counting right now). not a model weight but that's when i liked myself most. i kept it for 4 months. than i came back from england to live with my mum for one more year. and she kept nagging me about how skinny and bonny i looked. and don't i want a little bit of this or that....and of course she knew exactly what i liked and what to tempt me with, she is my mum! and guess what. exactly! and it took just 3 months! i put on 17 kilos! more than 35 pounds. sorry i don't know exactly.

of course it wasn't only her fault. but she did contribute. after one year i moved out again to go to university. without ANY diet i lost 9 kilos. and kept it off for years. just because suddenly there was nobody to offer me things all the time. but as you can see i didn't loose all the 17 kilos. so i think my mum contributed to 9 and i contributed to 8 kilos that i had extra :D

and i'm working on those right now

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:36 pm

I'm just going to calmly say to "how did you do it"... something like "I just changed my bad habits" then they're thinking "oh... :cry: you mean that old thing called eating right and exercising?" and won't ask too many more questions since typically when they do that, they're looking for a faster, easier way out. So that sorta shuts them up...

As for "you look so skinny" like they said after my bout with chemo when I wanted to say "DUH DOOFUS, WHAT'D YOU EXPECT ME TO LOOK LIKE AFTER CHEMO" :roll: but didn't because I knew they meant well and for the most part I'm a nice person :wink: , I just smiled really big and said "THANKS" while walking away.
Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!